Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,386   Online: 1101

Thread: Leica CL

Shooter
    35mm

Leica CL

Hi everybody. This is my first post, so ciao to everybody.

My Leica M3 is broken and cannot be fixed - or it is too expensive to do it.

So I am thinking about selling my 35/2,8 and my 50/2 and get a Leica CL with the 40.

Does anybody knows this machine and the lens? How do they work? Is the camera strong enough to be considered a Leica?

Thanks for your answer.

wishes

Paolo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Leica CL is a fine camera, no doubt, but if you have two great Leica lenses why not buy a Voigtlander Bessa camera body with M-mount?

regards
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clogz
    The Leica CL is a fine camera, no doubt, but if you have two great Leica lenses why not buy a Voigtlander Bessa camera body with M-mount?

regards
    Hans
    Actually I have only the 35 left as the 50 needs some fixing as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked into the CL when it was introduced in the 70's but kept my IIIG. The CL can only use a limited range of M lens, at the time I really needed the 135MM, I think it may use the old mercury batteries. Some people thought the Minoltia (sp?) CL body was a better buy. I agree with Hans, unless you are a collector, I would look into the Bessa or Konica M mount.

Regards

Paul

Images
    I use a Leitz/Minolta CL with the Japanese 40mm Rokkor and a 90mm Rokkor C that was made in Germany by Leitz. I bought it new in the '70s and had it CLA'd a couple of years ago at Leica. They are good, solid mechanical cameras with TTL metering that make superb images but they are all 30 Years old. There are some very attractive M mount rangefinders being made today at good prices. As Hans suggested, you might want to consider one of those.

Here's a good even-handed evaluation of the camera that I ran across last night:
    http://www.cameraquest.com/leicacl.htm
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    The point is that I cannot count on my 50mm, so the only lens I have is the 35mm. The idea was that with 900 euro I can have also a good 40mm which I can use instead of both 35 and 50.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ofis
    The point is that I cannot count on my 50mm, so the only lens I have is the 35mm. The idea was that with 900 euro I can have also a good 40mm which I can use instead of both 35 and 50.
    Check out the link above. It tells you all you want to know about the camera and lenses. I am very happy with mine.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ofis:
    I too would suggest the Bessa as a prime option.
    What's wrong with the 50? & why not fix it?

I like my CLs but each has had $300+ repairs recenly , primarily dying meter cells
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    I like my CLs but each has had $300+ repairs recenly , primarily dying meter cells
    Mark
    How true. Those CDS cells die after a while. Had to change mine too. Something to remember when buying a 30 year old camera.
    =Neal W.=

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin