Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,848   Online: 722

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

MINOX 35 Touring or MB Shutter speed question?

I ask this same question on another site, but thought maybe somebody here might know something. I don't know why I continue to buy these little trouble prone cameras, but maybe it's the same reason my wife keeps me around? LOVE! Yes, I love the little buggers, but hate the nagging little things that go wrong with them. I have two EL's, one GT, one Kiev 35, and now a newly purchased Minox Touring camera(for next to nothing). All of these I have had to repair except the Russian. Go figure? I just bought the Touring/MB and the first thing I did was check the shutter, which seemed to be working, but I never checked it for slow speeds. Next, I put 12 exp roll (I roll my own) of Delta 100 B&W film in it and went shooting. I processed the roll and found the 10th frame blank and new I had the dreaded shutter/magnet problem. I then loaded a roll with 10 exp and shot it. This time they were all blank. Oh shucks! Well, there was only one thing to do and that was try to adjust and clean things up in the shutter department. I adjusted and cleaned things up and it now works, but then I developed another problem. My LED's in the view finder stopped working. Oh shucks again! I've only been under the hood of my GT so this Touring/MB would be a whole new ball game. I carefully tore it down, discovered the cause and fixed the problem. Whew! Now, it seems I have a shutter timing problem and may have had it all along and not noticed it. While the exposures seemed well exposed at moderate shutter speeds and apertures maybe all was not well. From what I have gleaned from this site and others is that the shutter speed should go down to 30 sec. if I have the ISO dial set at ISO 25 and the aperture at f16 when in low light. Well, I used those settings and covered my meter window and the slowest speed I can get is 4 sec. I guess I'll come right out and ask the question, "HOW DOES ONE ADJUST THE SHUTTER SPEED TIMING"? When I had the cover off I cleaned everything and removed the three screws holding down the small printed circuit board under the rewind knob. When you flip this board over there are three(if I remember right) TRIM POTS on the underside. I'm wondering if they have anything to do with the setting/lengthening/shortening the shutter speed? Or maybe it's under the face plate and window of the meter cell itself? All I know is that I need to see if I can get longer shutter speeds in very low light conditions. Can anyone steer me in a direction/link to help me figure out what does what on this camera?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I guess this is not big help:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/minox35...7612937954151/

I had minox GL - and lens quality is superb, most quiet camera ever, super small, perfect - except shutter issue. It died in the middle of vacation --> unforgivable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Hi,

I guess this is not big help:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/minox35...7612937954151/

I had minox GL - and lens quality is superb, most quiet camera ever, super small, perfect - except shutter issue. It died in the middle of vacation --> unforgivable.
    Yes, they seem to quit when you need them most and I agree that the lens is superb. Actually, the link was helpful with both my EL, GT and also the newly acquired Touring, but it doesn't address the shutter timing. I sure wish I could find copies of Minox 35 repair manuals, but they must fall under the "TOP SECRET" category! JohnW

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got several minox 35 camera. If I remember correct, GT has the 30 sec shutter. The other didn't has such long shutter speed. Please check.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goodfood View Post
    I got several minox 35 camera. If I remember correct, GT has the 30 sec shutter. The other didn't has such long shutter speed. Please check.
    Well, maybe I'm alright then. I'll search for the specs on the MB/Touring and see what the longest speed should be, but I would have thought it should have been as long as my GT. There I go again, thinking! Still seems it should be longer than 4 seconds, but I'll check it out and get back. Most everything seems to be "fly by the seat of your pants" when it comes to Minox 35 cameras. Really not much good printed literature out there like there is for other older cameras. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a Minox 35GT for more than 25 years that I bought second hand and never had any problems with it, and It's still my street shooting camera.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've had a Minox 35GT for more than 25 years that I bought second hand and never had any problems with it, and It's still my street shooting camera.
    Yup, they are hard to beat for "on the go" street shooting in fair to good light. Set them for f5.6 to f8, adjust your focus for the proper DOF coverage and just shoot away. Oh, and the lens is just so nice and crisp. I have two Rollei 35's, both with Tessar lenses since I like those over the Sonnar, but the Rollei's are just not as compact or as light as the Minox 35. Plus, the Minox is a true wide-angle Tessar!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I just found and pulled the manual up online and the slowest shutter speed at ISO 25 is said to be 4 seconds. So I guess I was worried about nothing. Well, we'll see how long this one stays up-and-running.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just as a side note:
    It is surprising that this camera family is hailed that much.

-) 35mm is not the classic FL for a Tessar covering 24x36
    -) focussing is done by front cell only
    -) the aperture has only two blades

All things typically fit to denounce a camera on such forum...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Just as a side note:
    It is surprising that this camera family is hailed that much.

-) 35mm is not the classic FL for a Tessar covering 24x36
    -) focussing is done by front cell only
    -) the aperture has only two blades

All things typically fit to denounce a camera on such forum...
    Yes, especially the shape of the aperture. I know front cell focusing lenses don't seem to be as "in favor" as unit designs, but I have seen some front cell lenses that were/are very, very good. Most of you Ikonta's and Super Ikonta's fall into that class. It is a simpler, easier way to make a camera and that is probably why the front cell focusing design gets its bad rap. Cheap cameras almost always either had it or a fixed focus lens. I said easier to make the camera, but not easier to make the lens since it's easier to make a unit lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin