Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,110   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This is probably not the case today, as design and functions change over time. However, many years ago I had cause to visit a camera repairer who had been doing the job all his life and was near retirement and I asked him what cameras he has in most for repair. His answer was Mamiya. But as said, versions today are probably fine.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    I knew a guy who traded in his Nikon FE for a 501. It took so long to autofocus he ended up throwing it at a wall. . .
    Sounds more like "complete photographer failure (or meltdown). Once again proving that untreated bipolar disorder may strike anywhere and at any moment. Aren't there laws against camera abuse?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minox 35, several diff models, all with the shutter problem. Olympus XA, with auto exposure probs.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon AE-1! Several w/ problems!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exakta RTL 1000---- poor quality from this pentacon-made product, last gasp of a fine old name, died soon after being serviced a mere 2 years after purchase because it was already worn out. When the shutter went "kloonk" and quit working i gave up and bought a leica.

Kiev 88 -- imitation hassy, this had to be sent back 3 times in its first month of ownership,and the last one was a one-way trip accompanied by a demand for credit (which was given). Only camera to quite literally self-destruct in my hands. Forgive? I'd take one if you gave it to me for free, but that's about it.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Many Olympus XA cameras, where shutter release wouldn't fire until I jiggled the winding knob. Aggravating!

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Feldstein View Post
    Sounds more like "complete photographer failure (or meltdown). Once again proving that untreated bipolar disorder may strike anywhere and at any moment. Aren't there laws against camera abuse?
    The guy worked semi-professionally but had a short fuse. The problem was those early AF cameras didn't permit the shutter to be pressed until focus was confirmed, and in less than good light they could hunt almost indefinitely. Not good while out on a job. A lot of people were suckered into trading good manual focus cameras for AF versions before the technology was ready.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Klasse S died a sudden death on holiday, but I had another 2 cameras with me, so no big deal. It did put me off cameras with that much electronics in them though.

I've had a couple of Leicas with light leaks in the shutter, I don't have a Leica any more, although I do basically forgive them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All cameras will probably fail eventually, but some are more fallible than others.....To summarize, in my long experience, anything electronic will prove troublesome sooner than their totally mechanical counterparts.......I won't even comment on the unreliability of digital gear!
    My most reliable 35mm gear?......The earlier Nikons, my Nikon F still going strong, after over 40 years of use, only the mirror dampening foam has needed replacing. Much the same with my Nikkormat FT3 and later FM's. The last really reliable Nikon?...the FM2n in my opinion.
    Least reliable?.....Apart from anything digital, Olympus OM's had a habit of jamming when used in conjunction with their (not very good) motor drive at the time. The flimsy cap covering the motor drive socket detached easily from the camera and got lost.
    Earlier Canon's were good, F1's and Ftb's, later T90's not as strongly made..
    Bear in mind I'm talking here about professional use, and systems I've had experience of.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My Leica II is 81 years old and I don't know if it has ever been serviced, but it runs as sweat as a nut (batteries not required).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin