Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,654   Online: 934

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went to Nottingham to take some particular pictures with my Voigtlander Vitomatic I. I took one picture and the shutter linkage seized solid. I later bought another Vitomatic I and it did the same thing (but not in Nottingham). Never had a problem with my Vitomatic II which has had quite a hard life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any, ANY camera can fail. But of course there are those that because of cheap construction or design flaws have more problems.

My chosen 35mm platform, the OM system, specifically model OM-1 and OM-1n have been OK for me but of course I've not run them like some professionals do their cameras.

I have experienced the dreaded prism foam rot and the resultant damage to the mirror surface of the penta prism. This, if cleaned off, can still be seen in the viewfinder, but the body can still be fully functional otherwise. In the 38 years I've used OM-1 bodies I've also had a shutter curtain string come loose (or perhaps off its roller) twice, on the same body, a non md, my oldest one. That body also has a dead meter due to a broken solder connection to the battery contact. Otherwise my OM's have been reliable cameras. The Zuiko lenses have been good to me except for the 'dangly rubber focusing grip' on my 24 f2.8, and 50 f1.8. When Olympus still cared and were a real camera company they would send you replacement rings at no charge. Oh yeah, almost forgot, my Winder 1 died, but matters not, I hardly ever used the thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    IMHO, the greatest camera failure of all time & space is the Kodak Retina Reflex. They almost invariably failed of their own volition, at a very young and tender age. Back in the day, I had visions of grandeur and Kodak was able to supply parts and manuals for them. I never was able to successfully repair one. The shutter is linked to the wind mechanism by a pair of concentric, spring-loaded shafts; all with issues of timing, pre-tension and an inherent fragility against which the front standard is assembled. (One slip and the shafts can be bent or the bearing hole deformed.) I admit that I am not temperamentally suited to precision work, but this is a camera that should have been great; great concept, great lens, great shutter.

Forgive? Nah! Not being a bean counter, I would not understand why they were unable or unwilling to get it right for the future. I still have a small stock of parts .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon T90 suffers from a very well-known shutter complaint, sticky magnets as well as goo on the shutter itself. Even when working properly the camera does not like to sit idle for very long. I've had a couple T90s poop out on me from time to time (the EEE error), and usually a short sharp smack on the ground sets it right again. I have better cameras, I have more reliable cameras, but the T90 remains my all-time favorite. I have nine of them right now, three in storage, two in regular use, one that has 'issues' (and gives interesting results), and three awaiting disembowelment.

The Canon Elan IIe seems to have an odd problem; when used with the battery grip, shooting is often interrupted by low-battery warnings, even with fresh batteries. I've never let that worry me, I just take the shot when the camera lets me. For $25, I'm not going to complain. They're very nice cameras, otherwise.

On the other hand, the Minolta XE-7 has a most unfortunately-placed power switch, directly under my right thumb. Too often I lift the camera to my face and find it won't work as I've inadvertently shut the thing off without trying. I'm ready to drop both of mine in the lake.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ^Instead, sell them to Ralph... :-) He'll take them.

For me, probably the "shoot 13 shots, unjam camera" Pentax H3v that I had as my first camera. Finally got another about 20 years later.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wow, where to begin?
    First dslr, 2 months old doing not-so-high-iso for not-so-long exposures, about 10 dead pixels showing up like glitter on a teenage girl's face. I didn't care if there were 18 million good ones, for that price I deserved 0 dead ones, so sent it back under warranty repair via the retailer. Tested it in the shop, straight back because they didn't fix them all. 3 times. Finally it came back good. Few months later they started showing up again, so I gave up and started using Delta 3200 instead. No dead pixels on my scanner (although the dust can be a bitch).

Mamiya 645AF, the 'safety retract' (when you take off the film back, the shutter opens and mirror flips up to protect them) has never worked since i got it (second hand, but i'm too lazy to complain and it was cheap enough). Except when it did work, when I was shooting, it just wouldn't let me shoot and it was all interlocked and wouldn't even let me take the back off. A few precisions thuds with a fist got it back to working without losing a frame. Oh yeah, and it also sometimes decides halfway through a roll that it doesn't have a film in, so winds forward and resets to 1, losing a few frames at the end of the roll (not sure if it's just one back or the camera). Did that again tonight trying out my new 35/3.5 a few hours ago.

EOS 3, worst problem was that it re-wound after 12 frames, on a home-rolled film that I swore had 36 or so frames. I re-loaded it and it again got to 12 frames, so I presumed it was actually a roll of 12, that I'd just forgot to mark it as 12, so I just devved it. 12 good shots and 24 blank ones came out. (but still, I probably just wound the cartridge wrong). That, and it stops focussing with my 40/2.8 Pancake, but that's a known bug in the lens (and I don't have a $4k digital to upload new firmware to the lens).

Kiev 60 worked fine for the first few rolls, then one day decided not to wind a full stroke (or I loaded it wrong, a high possibility). Lost the first few frames taking shots on the backing paper, the rest were all run together (645-shape or so salvageable), and 2/3 of the film was blank.

Kiev 88CM has actually been quite reliable, despite all the warnings and horror stories I read before I bought (second-hand for <$100), but I borked up the dark-slide seal-thingy on a back a few weeks ago putting the slide in, so now it probably leaks. Got about 5 backs coming from fleabay as we speak, at least 1 I know doesn't work so it can sacrifice some parts to fix the first.

Nothing else, really. My P6, Bessas, Retinas, even my Agat 18k have never given me a problem. Neither has that Nikonos V I bought from a workmate 6 months ago, but then all I've done is load it and not shot anything, so I won't know until I do...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Minolta Auto-cord, purchased new, shutter failed after about 2 yrs. The repair cost quoted at local camera stores was almost the price of the camera so traded it in. Nikon FG, purchase used, still use in on the one manual speed. Had a few others that purchased used and needed CLA, such as Rollie SL66, and yes, had it done and kept it for awhile. I worry about my Minox GT, still works though.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    ^Instead, sell them to Ralph... :-) He'll take them.

-J

I'm thinking instead of asking Doug if he can reverse the switch so that UP is ON instead of OFF. But he'll probably want money for that...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    I'm thinking instead of asking Doug if he can reverse the switch so that UP is ON instead of OFF. But he'll probably want money for that...
    Go for it. He might do it for little $.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    On the other hand, the Minolta XE-7 has a most unfortunately-placed power switch, directly under my right thumb. Too often I lift the camera to my face and find it won't work as I've inadvertently shut the thing off without trying. I'm ready to drop both of mine in the lake.
    Really? I never have that problem. Ironically, I've found the XE-7 is great at making you forget to turn it off! You all know what I'm talking about!

Solid camera though (when the advance doesn't play up).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin