Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,534   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Which camera had failed - and did you forgive?

Hi,

I am curios to find out what break most often? Which camera - but even more what on camera. I guess it is shutter?

So which camera had broke completely in your hands and what broke?
    Did you forgive it - bought the same camera again or repaired it?

Me:
    Minox GL - shutter died, and since this is well know problem I decided to give up of those cameras.
    Nikon FG lever for winding broke - decided to go with F3 instead.

regards

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a Hasselblad 500C body that I had fixed. It was the main spring controlling the mirror that went bad. I fixed it and continued to use it for several more years. I upgraded to a 500C/M body, and the old 500C sat as my backup and didn't see much use. I sold it along to someone else, who then had to make some major repairs as the air bladder that controls the rear body doors had dry-rotted and would no longer keep the doors open reliably. Were it still my camera, I probably would have fixed it myself and kept using it. The 500C body had been owned by several wedding photographers before me, so it saw heavy, regular use, and it was already 30+ years old when I bought it. And while it wasn't a failure, I did have my Rolleiflex completely overhauled after I bought it- it's another very old camera (circa 1956) that needed the shutter, film transport, and focusing worked on. $400 later (ouch), I have a camera that with reasonable care will last me another 50 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's see.

Nikon N80 - aperture adjustment level got bent to heck so everything was dark all the time and the preview button didn't work. Figured out what it was and did some bending to get it back inline. Don't know if it's perfectly lined up but seems to work just fine. Lenses seem to open the same amount on and off the body.

Kodak Automatic 35 - asa selection know would not turn at all. Applied a bit of machine oil and let it sit for a few hours. Still hard to turn but after a few movements back and forth with a plier it now move smoothly. Also note this is a very small know that is a bit problematic for my aging fingers to start with.

I have a few more that I'm going to atttempt to fix. Have an Argus C20 that has the focus portion of the lens assembly frozen solid. Thinking about loosening some screws and applying a bit of oil to the mechanism. Don't want to disassemble the whole lens/viewfinder mechanism if I can avoid it.

Have an Argus Argoflex 75 that the focus lens has broken out. Will attempt to reattach it and see what happens.

I want the Argus 75 and C3 in great working order someday. These were the first cameras I can ever remember using. My Mom was the family archivist and those models were her cameras.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Art

Shooter
    35mm
    I've forgiven all my broken cameras (most were my fault!) save one: the Nikon N80. Nice little camera, but mine had a strange electrical problem that made the camera forget it had film in it. The frame counter would reset at random and the camera would advance the film three frames, suddenly thinking there was a new roll of film inside. I sent it for repair twice, both times it came back with the same problem. Turned me off of the N80 forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my film cameras are old, so I expect the occasional breakdown. For me, it's mostly the meter that proves to be troublesome. Not a big-deal though, I can always use my hand-held meter.

I have had other mechanical breakdowns that I've been (so far) able to fix myself. For the "absolutely must get picture," I'll use a camera I really trust (like my Leica MP).

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I had a T90 that continually locked up in the worst possible way - I was using it as an "around home" camera with a flash, and while in many cases the dreaded "EE" error happens after the picture is taken, with flash, it happened during. So no picture at all. Hardly a useful feature for a camera you're relying on to capture once in a lifetime events that happen in a family's life. I sent it back to the guy I bought it from (a reputable repair guy) and told him to keep it. On the other hand, I have an EOS-3 that locked up too. Same sort of error; something to do with shutter magnets. The stupid camera would freeze up at random times but a slap to the prism usually fixed it. In frustration I BANGED the stupid thing down on a hard marble countertop, scarring the body where the sharp edge of the counter connected, but it was a miracle. The body has worked flawlessly ever since. I'll never sell it but I'm comfortable using it. I forgave it right after the hard spanking.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I guess it is shutter?
    Minox GT, Nikon FA x2. Yup, shutter stuck on all three. All immediately repaired in house, worked fine, but promptly sent to landfill. Never touched a Minox or anything with that honeycomb crap again. I soon re-geared with some F2 bodies and forgot what repair means, knock on wood, two decades and counting.

Last edited by Vilk; 07-15-2013 at 11:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After 34 years (give or take), I am still awaiting my first camera death. Given the reliability of the F-series Nikons, the wait may well continue into the distant future. That said, when the inevitable does arrive, I expect that the Grim Reaper will take one of my F5s or the F6; the F2s and the F3HP bodies will, I expect, long continue to avoid his icy grip...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    I knew a guy who traded in his Nikon FE for a 501. It took so long to autofocus he ended up throwing it at a wall. I have an early AF Minolta that does the same thing. It was amusing for a while watching it hunt focus, but the game soon paled. I turned it to manual and gave it to my six year old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i thought most of my cameras were broken
    because well, i didn't know the best way to use them.
    now i realize .. and nothing is broken ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin