Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,402   Online: 1139

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta SRT 101 Battery check needle question.

When turning the switch to BC the needle should be in the rectangular piece, like in this pic? What if mine lays a couple of millimeters above of it? What does it mean? Is there anything wrong?
    I am just making sure everything is working fine in my Minolta.
    Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8986443...l-camerapedia/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might have the wrong cell installed. I don't remember what the '101 uses, but you can get what you are describing if you put an alkaline or silver oxide cell (1.5v nominal, a new alkaline can be 1.58 - 1.60v) in a camera intended for a mercuric oxide (1.35v) cell. I mention this because I have an Asahi meter which clips onto a Pentax H1a, it came to me with an alkaline cell in instead of a mercury cell, and it does exactly what you describe.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Which battery are you using? If you're using a more modern battery then the voltage is different from what it's expecting. I think what you're seeing is that the meter is off because of the voltage difference.

Can anyone confirm my suspicions?

Shooter
    35mm
    I am using a 1.5 v Varta battery 625U. Will this really affect my exposure. When i do the battery check, the needle sits just 1mm above the rectangle that you can see in the picture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    I am using a 1.5 v Varta battery 625U. Will this really affect my exposure. When i do the battery check, the needle sits just 1mm above the rectangle that you can see in the picture.
    Yes. It will lead to underexposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yes. It will lead to underexposure.
    Which can be overcome by adjusting the iso dial to compensate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Which can be overcome by adjusting the iso dial to compensate.
    Yes, but that works only if you know how much. The OP will need to compare it to another camera or meter of known accuracy. An alkaline cell's voltage is about 18% higher than a mercury cell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Slight underexposure can benefit transparency film, resulting in richer colours. Remember a stated ASA speed is a guide, it's not written in stone. Different metering systems will expose differently. It's up to you to discover the best film speed setting for your camera/film combination.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vsanzbajo View Post
    When turning the switch to BC the needle should be in the rectangular piece, like in this pic? What if mine lays a couple of millimeters above of it? What does it mean? Is there anything wrong?
    I am just making sure everything is working fine in my Minolta.
    Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8986443...l-camerapedia/
    If the needle is above the rectangle then I think the battery voltage is too low rather than too high. Without the battery the needle is all the way up and the battery voltage drives the needle downward.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check it with a known good meter or try f16 rule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin