Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,997   Online: 811

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympus OM-2n

Shooter
    Medium Format

Olympus OM-2n

Hi all, I've just inherited a near mint OM-2n, new batteries and everything appears to work OK. However, can anyone please tell me if the Film Advance Lever on this camera is spring loaded to return by itself or whether you have to manually move in both directions?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Spring loaded to return to body, but I've got an om1 with the spring broken or disconnected, and I have to manually push the lever back towards the body.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    yep, spring loaded return

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any reasonably good repair person would probably fix that easily as part of a Clean Lube and Adjust (CLA) which you should probably invest in anyway as you just inherited this very nice piece of equipment.
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCoull View Post
    Hi all, I've just inherited a near mint OM-2n, new batteries and everything appears to work OK. However, can anyone please tell me if the Film Advance Lever on this camera is spring loaded to return by itself or whether you have to manually move in both directions?
    Thanks.
    From my OM-1 experiences, it should return on its own.

As for service, I have nothing but praise for zuiko.com, though they/he only does rebuilds (about $100, check site), but *everything* (unless he warns you otherwise) is returned to original spec. (blah, blah, just a customer . . . .)

In my opinion, nothing in 35mm can approach the OM system.

Obviously, many will differ.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another "Amen" on the recommendation of zuiko.com. John has done work for the OM community for years and his work is superb. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got an OM-1 like that, you have to manually return the lever but this one just has very gummed up lube on the wind-on mechanism. If you warm it with a hair-dryer then it slowly makes its way back to the correct position.

Shooter
    35mm
    If return spring breaks, lever must be pushed back manually. Also grease may have thickened up over the years making the wind stroke a bit difficult. John

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an OM-1n I picked up at the Thrift Store for $20 that had that problem. I started to fire the shutter and slowly the advance lever started to return after about 50 times it was working perfect. I applied a little contact cleaner to it. As John said, it could be that the grease gets sticky from the camera not being used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin