Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 817

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Help me get back into film photography!

I've tried to like digital for 3 years..but can't.

So I'm going back to film..

At the time I had a Nikon N/F60 and was quite pleased but remembered wanting nore at times.

The F80 looks good.
    But I'm a bit out of touch now..

Any suggestions? Open to everything as long as it's SLR, not digital and in the price range of the N80

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll get few digital recommendations here, lol.

Get another N80. You already know the camera and they are quite reasonably priced on the 2nd hand market.

Welcome to APUG.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Get another N80. You already know the camera and they are quite reasonably priced on the 2nd hand market.
    I agree with Andy. Although I shoot primarily LF, I have had an N80 for almost 5 years, it has been very reliable - I taken it to Jordan, Germany, UK, New Zealand, Australia and all over Hawaii.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ask yourself 3 questions
    What did I like on the F60?
    What do I want that wasn't on the F60?
    What kind of photography are you planning? (urban landscape, nature, sport, macro, natural landscape, portraits, all of the above)
    Answers to these and it will help you (and us) get a better idea as to the ideal camera for your needs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    Ask yourself 3 questions
    What did I like on the F60?
    What do I want that wasn't on the F60?
    What kind of photography are you planning? (urban landscape, nature, sport, macro, natural landscape, portraits, all of the above)
    Answers to these and it will help you (and us) get a better idea as to the ideal camera for your needs.
    The first thing I loved about the F60 was the feel. It's bigger than some models like some Rebels and F65. It felt solid and felt good when I put it up to my face. (Odly enough, I kept trying the Rebel and it just felt funny to me..must be the grip or something that doesn't agree with my hands..)

I did like the extra features the F65. I find d-o-f preview interesting, would like a remote and because I'm still at a learning stage, would like exposure bracketing. Multiple exposure sounds an interesting toy. Artistic composition straight on the film.

Yup, that's the kind of stuff I'd like.

Images
    This day and age, if I was just going back to film, I would go for the 645 or 6x6 all manual camera. The costs are pretty cheap. DO you want to stay with the 35mm but want more bells and electronic whistles? If so the upper end Nikons are pretty cheap on the Used market as well. Good luck and welcome back.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is true. I barely use my 35mm anymore. But I do keep my Oly XA around with me all the time. This year will be a decision year for me regarding keeping my Nikons and trading them in for LF.

Shooter
    35mm
    One day, maybe.. but for now, until I truly understand the ins-and-outs, I prefer going for the "bells and whistles" which allow me to have fun with a learning curve that is not as steep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My vote goes for another Nikon.. N80 or N100 would be the best.

I think it's best if you got to a photo store and "feel" those cameras before buying any.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    35mm
    I must suggest the Minolta Dynax 7. I know I've said in another thread (no, I'm not on comission from minolta), but it's a great camera, neck to neck with the F100, and it is dirt cheap as new now. I just got one now and I'm very pleased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin