Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,949   Online: 1069

Problem with R 9 meter?

Just picked up my R 9 again. The first few rolls suggest that the meter is over-exposing by about one EV. I spoke with Leica USA who suggested sending the camera for possible repair/replacement of the meter, and a general CLA.

However, the meter appears to be working correctly-turns on, responds to different light, etc., etc.

Question: Have any R9 users had similar problems with the built in meter?

Thanks for helping.

Elliot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First, have you checked that the exposure compensation is not accidentally set to +1? Second, have you tested the meter either against another camera body that is known to be accurate, or a hand-held meter known to be accurate? That would tell you how much the meter is off by, and if the problem is somewhere in the camera electronics (ie is the meter telling you correct numbers but still overexposing, or is it showing you +1 stop). Just being responsive to light isn't a good enough indicator - I have a 60 year old Rolleiflex whose internal meter is still responsive, but about all I trust it to do is confirm that Sunny 16 applies. Anything much more than a couple stops off noontime full sun and I'm breaking out my handheld.

Thanks for responding.

Yes I had indeed checked all of the setting to be certain there were no overrides.

When I went out again to check the meter I discovered that it was completely Kaput...back to Leica for repairs. Rather amazing in that the camera was so rarely used. I suppose there is no direct correlation between the number of readings and the "life" of the meter. Nevertheless, I admit to being surprised that a meter so rarely used would have to be replaced.

Incidentally, have you noticed how the prices of Leica R glass are increasing...some of the zoom lenses are off the wall in price....

Elliot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just notice the other day there was a cheap R9 body on Ebay with a dead meter after being sent to Leica for meter repair. You're not alone.

This guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-R9-35m...item35c9b97cc7

Thanks...I went out yet again with the R 6.2 and compared readings...the R9 was regularly one EV off...kaput as I said...sometimes I wonder about the purported Leica quality...the lenses are the best...the M bodies were great....I hope the the M 240 and Monochrome live up to the heritage of being manufactured to the best standards. Now that there are many more 240 bodies arriving in the USA we will soon have some feedback.

Geesh...he is giving the body away for nothing...the Leica people will guaranty their work for one year...then what...five hundred bucks for a year?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin