Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,041   Posts: 1,560,690   Online: 1022

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I haven't used my F100 in a year so i dragged it out to test. I usually use CSM 4 set to disabled so I need to push the AF-ON button to engage the AF. But I just turned it off to test and my F100 is behaving how I think you want it to work when in Single mode. In Continuous mode it seems be doing what yours is. Both 9 and 10 are set to 0 on my camera. Since all your cameras do it I assume it has to be a setting.

Based on the way you are shooting it sounds like you may want to also switch to only engaging the AF with the AF-ON button. Once I did, it cut down most of my frustration with AF. I have my DLSR setup this way too.

Thank you very much for trying it out. On mine, both 9 and 10 are set to zero as well. I cannot always reproduce my problem but when it does, it's pretty consistent. It may be scene dependent that camera fails to confuse camera movement and subject movement. With single servo mode, and with [ ] showing, it tries to refocus when I recompose.

I guess Nikon firmware wasn't as advanced as ones it uses today.

Again, thank you very much for trying it out with yours.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    True, what from that era is though?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    A question for Nikon users.... Who thinks the old AF film Nikons auto focus better and faster then the Nikon DSLRs? The cameras I have been using were N6006 and a F100 vs a D80.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It seems the F5 is faster than the D90 but neither is slow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From personal experience slowest to fastest D70s<F100<D7000=D2H.

D80 would be slow, maybe slower than F100 particularly with screwdrive lenses.
    Hasselblad 501CM, Mamiya RB67SD, Rollei 6003SRC, Nikonos V, Canon EOS 3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hard to split the last microsecond but going from practical use, slow to fast:
    F4<D80<F100<D200<F6
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Thank you very much for trying it out. On mine, both 9 and 10 are set to zero as well. I cannot always reproduce my problem but when it does, it's pretty consistent. It may be scene dependent that camera fails to confuse camera movement and subject movement. With single servo mode, and with [ ] showing, it tries to refocus when I recompose.

Again, thank you very much for trying it out with yours.
    Since the camera was on my desk I started using it again. I put it back to what I thought was my normal mode and found it wouldn't release if I recomposed and the AF point wasn't in focus. Turns out I needed to put it back on Continuous when CSM 4 is turned on. Never noticed that before, but I rarely change settings once it's working well.

I did a little digging on this odd behavior and it seems that it's a feature called Trap Focus (maybe not an intentional feature, but people treat it as such).

I tried a bunch of settings while messing around with the thing and couldn't reproduce the behavior you are seeing. What happens in Continuous mode; does the behavior change at all?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    From the manual on page 36
    Set focus mode selector to S or C for autofocus operation.• Set focus mode selector to S (Single Servo AF with Focus-Priority) or C
    (Continuous Servo AF with Release-Priority). Camera continues to focus
    automatically on the subject when the shutter release button is lightly pressed.
    S: Single Servo AF with Focus-Priority
    The shutter can only be released when in focus indicator / appears in the
    viewfinder (Focus-Priority). Once focused on a subject, keeping the shutter
    release button lightly pressed locks focus (Focus Lock). With a subject that
    has been moving, the camera continuously focuses on a subject as long as
    the shutter release button is kept lightly pressed (Focus Tracking, page 68)
    and focus locks when the subject stops moving.
    C: Continuous Servo AF with Release-Priority
    Since the priority is on shutter release, you can release the shutter
    regardless of the focus status (Release-Priority). Focus is not locked when
    / appears in the viewfinder and the camera continues to focus on a
    subject until shutter release. With a moving subject, the camera
    continuously focuses on a subject as long as the shutter release button is
    kept lightly pressed (Focus Tracking, page 68).
    Then on 68
    Focus TrackingWhen the focus mode selector is set to Single Servo AF (S) or Continuous Servo
    AF (C) and the shutter release button is lightly pressed or AF Start button is kept
    pressed, the camera automatically switches to Focus Tracking when a moving
    subject is detected. Focus Tracking enables the camera to analyze the speed of
    the moving subject according to the focus data detected, and to obtain correct
    focus by anticipating the subject’s position—and driving the lens to that
    position—at the exact moment of exposure.
    In Single Servo AF, Focus Tracking is activated with a subject that has been
    moving in advance to the focus detection, and focus is locked when the subject
    stops moving and / appears in the viewfinder. In Continuous Servo AF, camera
    continues to track subject (even with a subject which started moving in the
    middle of the focus detection) and focus is not locked.
    So what's biting me is the Focus Priority feature. It sounds like your issue is with the Focus Tracking. Looks like these are both unable to be adjusted like they can be on the newer DSLRs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    It seems the F5 is faster than the D90 but neither is slow.
    I havn't played with the D3 or D4, but the F5 with a 50mm 1.8D is the fastest I've seen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, guys.... if you want to talk about focus speed, will you please create your own thread?
    Thanks.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin