Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,113   Online: 974

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Larry,

In continuous focus mode, it works as I expect. It continuously focuses and does so correctly. My problem does not happen for every subject but for certain subject and perhaps situations, it happens consistently. (very annoying) I am not able to recreate it on demand.

I am familiar with the statement made on page 68 of the manual. I am thinking, even though the subject is not moving, maybe camera thinks it is moving.... and in conjunction with the fact I AM moving the camera, it gets confused. I am not sure if there is a motion censor involved in later bodies to prevent this behavior in case of re-composition moves. It would be very nice if I can disable this.

One situation I noticed is that say I am taking a portrait of a person. Focus on the eye, press down half way and recompose so that the focus point is not on the face. It refocuses.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Larry,

In continuous focus mode, it works as I expect. It continuously focuses and does so correctly. My problem does not happen for every subject but for certain subject and perhaps situations, it happens consistently. (very annoying) I am not able to recreate it on demand.

I am familiar with the statement made on page 68 of the manual. I am thinking, even though the subject is not moving, maybe camera thinks it is moving.... and in conjunction with the fact I AM moving the camera, it gets confused. I am not sure if there is a motion censor involved in later bodies to prevent this behavior in case of re-composition moves. It would be very nice if I can disable this.

One situation I noticed is that say I am taking a portrait of a person. Focus on the eye, press down half way and recompose so that the focus point is not on the face. It refocuses.
    I'm almost certain there is no motion sensor in the camera. I think its definition of moving is based on the information in the 10 segment matrix meter (so it can't detect subject vs camera movement). I'm not sure if it detects color or not. I know the later cameras, (F5 and pro level DSLRs) will follow subjects based on color detected by the RGB sensor in the metering system. So I'm reasonably certain the camera thinks your subject is moving when you recompose and turns on the Focus Tracking. I get the impression Nikon expects you to push the AF/AE Lock button when you focus and then do the recompose. A very kludgy system in my mind. I wonder if the F6 is any better.

Portraits were why I went to using CSM 4. I don't recall having your issue with the camera, but I know the AF drove me crazy until I removed it from the shutter button.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Have you tried back button focus?

After finding CSM 4 and getting used to it, it is now pretty frustrating to shoot without this feature.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried in the past but I could never get used to it....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've come across a few AF bodies (Canon and Nikon) where the shutter release is overly sensitive and if I lift the pressure from my trigger finger even slightly esp. when recomposing, the camera refocuses. If I press harder to avoid this, I inadvertently fire the shutter.

Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have noticed a similar glitch (or feature?)with the Nikon N75. Most of the time pressing the shutter button part way freezes the focus so you can then compose. However, if you fix the focus on a fence at an angle, then move the camera it does a very annoying 'follow focus.' I don't see any way to turn this off in the manual.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    ya know, the instruction manual for my Leica CL doesn't contain even one single sentence that is 1/10th as confusing as this one. Custom Function 9??? Dynamic AF mode with closest subject priority? Single Servo mode?

Cripes.

We're trying to take pictures here, folks, not launch the Space Shuttle.

Focus, match needle, shoot. End of story.

<Rant mode><exit>
    LMAO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin