Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,536   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F100 compose and frame - focus problem

This can't be a unique problem.... I have THREE F100s and they all do the same thing.

Say, I have a focus point fixed in the middle. That's how I like to use all of my camera bodies. I have SINGLE SHOT focus mode selected, instead of continuous focus mode. I aim at the subject I want to focus on, press the shutter button half way down and get a positive focus lock, then move my head and camera to recompose. So far, so good.... right?

NO! At this point, 90% of the time, the body gets confused into thinking the subject moved (no, I MOVED) and enables the focus tracking then it tries to refocus. According to the manual, this is not supposed to happen. Focus tracking supposed to take place when the subject moves regardless of the mode. (continuous or single shot)

What I want instead is, for the camera body to honor my focus lock and recompose, and not refocus.

I read somewhere (may be here?) there is a menu selection to change but I cannot find it now.

Can someone please help? Oddly enough, N80 and Dxxx do not do this.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    I had focusing problems with my F100 when I first got and had to research it online. My problem was I had to go into the menu system and turn off the feature that told the camera to always auto focus on the nearest object in the viewfinder. I would focus on what I wanted but could not fire the shutter because camera thought it was out of focus and wanted to refocus on the nearest object.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good grief! I have been wanting some new Nikon bodies, like F100 and F5. But stuff like this drives me nuts (yes, it has caused my nuttiness). Never do I have to worry with my F3, or FE, F2, M3, well, you get the picture.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to disable Custom Function 9 which will turn off "Dynamic AF mode with closest subject priority in single servo mode".

Eric

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes there is a learning curve with the more automated camera bodies. It took me a few months to figure out what was going on, but on the other hand it is all printed in the manual. I would recommend reading about and studying all the options that are controlled by the Menu feature, then you know right away what can go wrong if things aren't set the way you want. Or if you press and hold two certain buttons all the options return to the default settings.
    I like the manual bodies as well. Now days with digital being king, a person can cause quite a scene just by opening a camera back and loading a fresh roll of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epig View Post
    You need to disable Custom Function 9 which will turn off "Dynamic AF mode with closest subject priority in single servo mode".

Eric
    ya know, the instruction manual for my Leica CL doesn't contain even one single sentence that is 1/10th as confusing as this one. Custom Function 9??? Dynamic AF mode with closest subject priority? Single Servo mode?

Cripes.

We're trying to take pictures here, folks, not launch the Space Shuttle.

Focus, match needle, shoot. End of story.

<Rant mode><exit>

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    ya know, the instruction manual for my Leica CL doesn't contain even one single sentence that is 1/10th as confusing as this one. Custom Function 9??? Dynamic AF mode with closest subject priority? Single Servo mode?

Cripes.

<Rant mode><exit>
    I agree! Set your film speed and there only so many combinations of aperture and shutter speeds you can select, no need for all the fancy exposure modes. I had a buddy who kept getting blurry photos from hockey games. I couldn't convince him he needed to just turn off the auto everything and set his shutter speed at 125 or 250 and shoot with the aperture wide open because the rink was dimly lit. He thought his lens was broke and not focusing properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epig View Post

Eric

I know about this option. But I am not using Dynamic AF mode. I am using Single Area AF, which is option 1 on page 39 of user manual.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Did you double check to make sure It was toggled off on the Custom Function menu,just in case it did unknowingly get reset to the factory default.

Shooter
    35mm
    tkmiya
    If you aren't happy with the F100, have you tried its older brother, the F90X (N90S in the US)? It only has a single AF point and no Dynamic AF.

Cripes.

<Rant mode><exit>
    For some types of photography all that extra stuff is there to help, as in case of Sports or fast moving subjects. For other types it can be a hindrance.
    For what I do, mainly still nature, there is no need for a fast AF camera. I've been using lately the simplest of all Nikon MF SLRs, the EM and a FG when I need more manual control. They're much lighter than a F4 or F90 and do everything I ask from them.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin