Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,905   Online: 1176

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Scruffy looking Contax 167MT + 4 Kiron lens

Just looking for the collective opinion as to whether I should try to pick this up and at what price.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/pho/3904919555.html

Thanks for your input.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i've had two contax167. One has been working for about 20yrs. The other i got lasted about twenty months, but i got it from KEH in AS-IS conditions for 5 us$. On this part of the ocean you can get decent 167s for about 90 €. I would check KEH.COM. Then i wouldn't go for kiron lenses.
    A contax deserves zeiss lenses tha same way a lasagna deserves a tomato sauce and original parmigiano reggiano....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Contax 167 is a sturdy machine, but a bit of an odd one in the Contax line up, with regards to ergonomics, buttons and levers etc. I would prefer a RX, ST or Aria, the RX being the cream of the crop. The big selling point for Contax are the CZ lenses. I wouldn't invest much in Kiron lenses, if I were you.

I myself own RTSIII, RTSII and 2 Aria's, but if I could only have one to replace them all, I would want an RX.

The RTSIII is the only model with 100% viewfinder, which I love, but it's to heavy to travel with...

Regards,

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Scruffy is right...too scruffy for me...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kitanikon View Post
    Scruffy is right...too scruffy for me...
    I love the "deteriorated foam" look. It's gonna need some cleanup. Offer $75 and see if they bite...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya it's not a bad kit, especially if one of the lenses is the Kiron 28 f2.

The 167MT is all auto, I think, which would bring the price down in my book. I think rthomas has a good plan. I might offer $100 if everything works and the lenses are clean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 167 MT is NOT "all auto". It was the first camera to offer auto-bracketing, and it does have a program mode, but other than that, it's every bit as good an SLR as anyone here could want. The Kiron lenses are probably worthless, but I did see one of the lenses is actually a Contax 50mm f1.7. THAT, plus the body, are worth the $150. The flash included, if it is in fact working and not stuffed full of corroded batteries, is a good flash, even if not particularly valuable (in the $20-$30 range).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The 167 MT is NOT "all auto". It was the first camera to offer auto-bracketing, and it does have a program mode, but other than that, it's every bit as good an SLR as anyone here could want. The Kiron lenses are probably worthless, but I did see one of the lenses is actually a Contax 50mm f1.7. THAT, plus the body, are worth the $150. The flash included, if it is in fact working and not stuffed full of corroded batteries, is a good flash, even if not particularly valuable (in the $20-$30 range).
    I don't see an advance lever on the camera body ... this is why I thought it was all auto. And when I say all auto, I don't necessarily mean you can't set controls manually. I just mean that most functions are electronically controlled rather than mechanically controlled. So I should have been more specific.

Contax never made an SLR on which you can't manually set exposure, as far as I know. And its electronics were second to none and known to last. I just prefer mechanical and electronic parts are hard to find if repair is needed, so it would be less desirable than say a 139Q, in my book.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was told that the Contax 167MT was the best camera that Contax ever made when it came to reliability. Part of this was due to the automatic film advance. I have owned them and they are great cameras.

If the camera is working, the body is probably worth $100.00 to $150.00. The lenses are worthless in today's market.

Back in the day Kiron was a good bang for your buck lens. Good quality for little coin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin