Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,641   Online: 774

Shooter
    Multi Format

Experiences with Nikon's 28-300mm Zoom?

As a "walk-around" lens to be left on one body exclusively ( I generally use primes when shooting with the film Nikons unless I am shooting "events" where the 17-35/28-70/or the 80-200mm can often be useful), I have toyed with the idea of purchasing Nikon's 28-300. "Googling" the lens for reviews has only added to my ambivalence: reviews are all over the map (and just for the record, I immediately discount anything written by KR). Is the sample variation this extreme with this lens? Does anyone here have experience with this chunk of glass?
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I do have this lens, as you said, it's good for "events" (it's the way I use it) but the quality of the image is way far if I compare to the primes... the main advantage is how versatile the lens is. If I'm shooting events that doesn't require maximum quality it's highly reccomended!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bradley,

I say this as a general but personal observation about some of Nikon lenses I own. I've noticed Nikon's professional (gold rim) lenses are exceptionally good and variances between "samples" or pieces are small. But it's consumer grade lenses are all over the place in terms of performance variances between samples. If you get a good one, it's great. If you don't.... it's not!

I once had a brand new lens in factory fresh box that came from an authorized dealer. I went through 5 and kept the best one but I still wasn't satisfied. So I sent it in under warranty complaining it's awfully soft wide open. (Yes, I manually focused) It came back with its front element replaced and auto-focus re-calibrated. Now it's pin sharp.

I mention this because it may be the reason why online reviews are all over the map.

By the way, this isn't unique to Nikon.... I also own a Tokina lens where it was purchased brand new, and service replaced the whole optical train under warranty!
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know nothing about this particular lens, but my experience tells me that even in these days of computer aided design to manufacture a lens with a focal length range of 28-300mm and retain quality throughout the range is pushing it.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin