Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,683   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon FM: meter dead?

The meter on my Nikon FM seems to be dead, though it worked when I obtained the camera a few months ago, and I'm doing an idiot check to make sure I haven't stupidly overlooked something.

The meter LEDs at the right side of the viewfinder are not coming on.
    I have a lens on, but no film (I know some cameras, like the EM, won't meter until they have film in them and are at least to frame 1).
    The batteries are fresh: two Energizer 357 @ 1.55V each. No corrosion in the battery chamber. I'm certain I know which way the batteries go, but I've checked both polarities.
    I don't have a motor drive connected.
    The advance lever is in the standoff position.

Thanks for any advice!
    --Terry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wipe off the batteries and contacts. It doesn't have to be corroded to halt the flow.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This could be an opportunity for you to start guessing the exposure and not have to rely on a meter.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom: That didn't work unfortunately.
    Clive: True, and I'm not too shabby at that when outdoors, but having a fully functioning camera is preferable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Check the new batteries. Here lately I've been getting some 357's at the CVS that barely get the needle in the check zone on my Luna Pro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The batteries seem to be okay as far as I can tell.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Figured out your problem. Wire had corroded loose from battery contact. Pop the bottom off and see. The battery compartment can be clean as a whistle and the solder joint of the wire can be in 2. If not there, follow the wire to the other end to see if it is corroded apart there. I've had this happen on a Nikkormat once. The stranded wire wicks corrosion like a candle wick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great. I've just tried to get the bottom plate off the camera, and managed only to quite possibly strip two of the screws trying to get them out, and to lose one of the screws putting it back in. Maybe I'll find someone local who's handier than such things than evidently I am, and see if they can spot the trouble.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't mean to belittle your mechanical ability, but if you fouled up a task like that, then you're like the rest of my family--they're helpless. You must be one of those helpless people. I couln't imagine being like that. I was born with the curse of being able to fix everything. Sorry I talked you into messing up your camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The strange thing is that I'm usually handy with such things. And I have a couple of sets of small screwdrivers, so that shouldn't have been a problem. I'm going to say that the two screws simply won't budge and that they're in too tight. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

P.S. Just found the lost screw!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin