Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,826   Online: 839

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    To use such lens on large format or even meduim format camera is privilege of not so many people (I would like to be in that group ). With nikon/canon mount you open this option to many.

To use old Petzval lens you need either large format camera or medium format with exchangeable lens, and when you add camera to price calculation - then lomo option does not seems so expensive any more.
    Hi Darko,
    In itself you are absolutely right. And the IF for me would be if they made the lens of good quality and not a "Holga plastic like" lens. And we won't know that until we see, hold, feel and test this lens. But looking at their track record I'm hesitating to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Lomography used to be a lot of plastic & marketing that people were willing to pay for and having fun with it. Even normal film is expensive at their site.
    But then, maybe they are outgrowing their former reputation? Might the Lomo Belair X 6-12 be such an example? A big step up from the Holga (also a very good camera in its own field, mind you) but value for your money? For that kind of money you also have the choice between several "old school" folders with much better quality.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to downsize Lomography. I love my Holga's (especially the pinhole 6x12) for the fun they give me. And they are very successful at Lomography with their brand creating a whole new market in itself.
    But that's not my point. If they want to sell this lens as the better recreation of a Petzval lens, I'm not sure if they will be living up to it.
    But then, apparently the Lomo-gang doesn't mind, so what am I complaining about?
    Yes: it is nice they make this possible for 35 mm film cameras like Nikon en Canon. And maybe it will get people more interested in the "real" old school cameras and photography (instead of sticking it to their DSLR).
    And i hope they prove me wrong by posting a lot of beautiful analogue images on APUG.

But then: how many of these backers end up dropping this lens on a shelf or Ebay in a year time??? I'll wait until then to get me a cheap one and am spending my money on a real 790 mm ULF lens from Reinhold for now....

(Just ignore my rambling please)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    You should also consider that Zenit is manufacturing this for Lomo... Given that the casing is brass, this fares better than many cheap kit lenses shiping with plastic cameras these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting, I hope they do a better job of it than their belair camera. That one was a let down for me. Anyway, why are they using kick starter? They are a decent sized company with some r&d budget they shouldn't be using kickstarter to fund this. Kickstarter should be used by smaller startups that actually dont have much funds at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Interesting, I hope they do a better job of it than their belair camera. That one was a let down for me. Anyway, why are they using kick starter? They are a decent sized company with some r&d budget they shouldn't be using kickstarter to fund this. Kickstarter should be used by smaller startups that actually dont have much funds at all.
    The optimist in me says that it's because it gets them bigger exposure to a global audience.

The cynic in me thinks its so that they are under no obligation to deliver the lens if they feel better keeping the 100 grand.

*Remember that Lomochrome Purple was "guaranteed" to be delivered by July. They have 6 days to go.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    The optimist in me says that it's because it gets them bigger exposure to a global audience.
    The cynic in me thinks its so that they are under no obligation to deliver the lens if they feel better keeping the 100 grand.

*Remember that Lomochrome Purple was "guaranteed" to be delivered by July. They have 6 days to go.
    It's also an easy way to get your customers to pay upfront - even before you've produced anything ....
    And at the moment they also get:
    - 30 backers buying a keychain for $15
    - 2 backers buying a poster and keychain for $50
    - 26 backers buying a Diana Mini Petite camera and keychain for $79
    - 105 backers buying a black painted lens for $500
    - and quite a lot of other people of other people buying the lens for 300, $350, $400 and even $500.
    Total up to now: 1253 backers spending $477.840 on a plastic/brass/??? lens

So I think they're doing all right with this project: producing a nice new lens at no risk- business plan. Smart guys.
    Bert from Holland

* My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    on a plastic/brass/??? lens
    They say "They are built from brass and feature premium glass optics", so at least there should not be any plastic. But waiting one year more when backers will end up dropping this lens on a ebay is a good idea

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    ... If you thought there was a lot of swirly bokeh on the internet before, just wait until these babies hit the market.....
    That's exactly what I was thinking!

But I'm in. This Lomo Petzval Portrait Lens appears to have all the traits I’m looking for in a 35mm sized lens… an f2.2 aperture and perfectly round Waterhouse stops. I'm not so sure about that rack and pinion focusing, but the lens may be just the ticket.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

waiting for 2nd hand Lomo Petzval

Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    They say "They are built from brass and feature premium glass optics", so at least there should not be any plastic. But waiting one year more when backers will end up dropping this lens on a ebay is a good idea
    I'm waiting for a 2nd hand version - posted the WTB thread already:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum378/...ml#post1528513
    Bert from Holland

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just buy a Leica 50 Summitar and you'll be in swirl city before you know it, if that's the place you wish to be. This sort of bokeh puts me on edge.

The close portrait of the white cat on that link looks photoshopped to death. Cats do not look like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are getting close to one million $$$ ... I think even lomo guys are surprised with such success.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin