Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,981   Online: 827

Shooter
    35mm

Leather / plastic strap protectors?

Who sells the little leather or plastic strap protectors that keep the rings from wearing on the camera body?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know most straps come with some sort of ring protecto although I've never seen them sold separately. But when I need those things, I usually go over to a local shoe repair shop and ask the fellow there to cut me a small chunk of very thin leather scrap with a slice through the middle to get the piece to fit over the camera eye hook and the ring to go on the outside of that piece. Works just like the real thing. And if you use a slightly oversize key ring for the strap, it doesn't bind up against the body. He doesn't even charge me for it.

My shoe repair guy has fixed my leather meter cases, canvas camera bags and he does an incredible job bringing my work boots back to life every six months or so. He's a genuine old world craftsman and quite photogenic as well.
    Take it light ;>)
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Feldstein; 07-25-2013 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went to a local thrift shop and bought a pair of lady's boots for cheap. I got an almost endless supply of little leather tabs, and some funny looks from the cashier.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    I went to a local thrift shop and bought a pair of lady's boots for cheap. I got an almost endless supply of little leather tabs, and some funny looks from the cashier.
    Thanks, great idea, shoe repair shops are almost nonexistent here.

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Gordy O ring straps use an "O" ring available from any hardware store. Take the camera along or measure your strap & get the ring to fit. Shouldn't be more than a buck or two and no cutting involved.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only leather ones I've been able to find is from a UK seller on Ebay-username is milly120786.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strap lug pad.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	72223
    Last edited by f/16; 07-28-2013 at 11:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One needs not even go to a shoe repair shop.
    Most households have got punch pliers. By means of that tool even elongated holes as in the sample above can be made.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    The only leather ones I've been able to find is from a UK seller on Ebay-username is milly120786.
    Once again:

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/st...pers/index.htm

"Your choice of natural, russet, dark brown, or black leather."

I have no connection with Gordy's, but it took me 30 seconds to find these things.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin