Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,139   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newton Rings??

Shooter
    Multi Format

Newton Rings??

Only when using my Mamiya NC1000S with 50mm lens I get a strange horizontal streak across the photo and after googling Newton Rings feel reasonably sure this is the problem. It always appears in the middle of photo but only on random shots. I have been reading up on the rings but not clear on preventing them. Would a lens hood do this, I know the lens hood cures lens flare? I know the hoods are not expensive but I have a very limited photo budget and would rather buy film and chemicals

Thanks
    David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    35mm
    I doubt you are seeing Newton Rings. It might be some internal reflection in your camera that a lens hood might help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any samples you can post?

I wonder if it's the actual film. Maybe needs to be refixed or cleaned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    I doubt you are seeing Newton Rings. It might be some internal reflection in your camera that a lens hood might help.
    Yes, whatever it may be, it isn't Newton's rings. Look for a smear or fingerprint on the lens, even a tiny one. As always, a lens hood is a good thing to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They could be Newton rings if you are printing with a plain glass negative carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Newtons ring happens when two objects touch each other. So if it's on film, it can't be newton's ring.

How do you print your photographs? It's off topic here but certain scanner has a tendency to do this if that's what you are doing. Also, lens hood is a good thing to have..... if you buy a third party one, it's less than 10 bucks. It's even possible one of us here on APUG have one to send to you.

Say you have it on one frame. Does it always happen if you print from that negative multiple times EXACTLY the same way?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do you see them on the negative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    Do you see them on the negative?
    Yes, but only on the photos that I used the 50mm lens but some of the 50mm photos did not have it.

Is there directions for posting photos, I do not seem to be able from my computer or from online
    David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Newtons ring happens when two objects touch each other. So if it's on film, it can't be newton's ring.

How do you print your photographs? It's off topic here but certain scanner has a tendency to do this if that's what you are doing. Also, lens hood is a good thing to have..... if you buy a third party one, it's less than 10 bucks. It's even possible one of us here on APUG have one to send to you.

Say you have it on one frame. Does it always happen if you print from that negative multiple times EXACTLY the same way?
    Only the photos from this one roll had the rings and none when I used 135mm lens. All scanned at same time, and 2 rolls from another camera had no problems

David
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can only post photographs to APUG if you are a paying subscriber. But, you can upload it elsewhere and post a link if you like.

I'm still having hard time believing lens can cause rings looking like newton's ring on negative. You say you CAN see it on the negative itself.... Do you have, somehow, an access to a microscope?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin