Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,825   Online: 809

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Must give you a headache if you're viewfinder has a very small magnification?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    David, keeping both eyes open is something I couldn’t do when focusing, as I only use my right eye. In fact I can only close my left eye and keep the right open but not vice versa. I know you mention focusing and you have to look through the viewfinder to do that, but if you wanted to keep both eyes open at the taking stage you may find a Voigtlander Kontour finder useful.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Focusing with two eyes open makes sense with pistol shooting. It help one maintain situational awareness. Rifles with a scope could get debatable whether it is a benefit or not. With cameras I focus with one eye -- dominant eye -- no matter the type of camera. Right eye for SLRs; right eye for waist level screens on MF cameras; right eye for ground glass on view cameras. In the end... interesting discussion (as always, David) but whatever works best is what works best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Binocular vision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I keep my left eye open, right eye closed. I do have many negatives where you'd swear I had both eyes closed, though...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I keep my left eye open, right eye closed. I do have many negatives where you'd swear I had both eyes closed, though...
    Amen to that.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Less fatigue and a sense of 3D
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have the object here, but when going through a collection of donated camera equipment at the Photographic Historical Society, I came across a viewfinder for some camera (German?) that was meant to "project" a frame on your vision. It was meant to be used when keeping both eyes open. The rest of the guys in the group thought it was pretty neat. It didn't work for me because I do not really have binocular vision, I'm wall-eyed, and while each eye works pretty well, they don't work together.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    I don't have the object here, but when going through a collection of donated camera equipment at the Photographic Historical Society, I came across a viewfinder for some camera (German?) that was meant to "project" a frame on your vision. It was meant to be used when keeping both eyes open. The rest of the guys in the group thought it was pretty neat. It didn't work for me because I do not really have binocular vision, I'm wall-eyed, and while each eye works pretty well, they don't work together.
    That's the Voigtlander Kontur finder. I had one with my Voigtlander Vitessa-L, and I really liked it. You can see what's happening around the edges of the frame and adjust your composition accordingly. It's excellent for low light shooting, because you really have no light absorption from any kind of viewfinder system, but it presumes you have some other way of focusing.

It came in 35mm/6x9cm format and 6x6cm and could be used with the normal focal length on each respective format.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Much easier if the focal length of the lens matches your vision exactly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin