Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,113   Online: 949

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

focusing with both eyes open

Why is it that I feel a bit more comfortable with BOTH eyes open when I focus an SLR? Does anyone else feel that way?

Theoretically, you need only one eye, the one in the viewfinder, but I find my comfort level and perception to be a bit enhanced when both eyes are open. Strange? - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm
    I too focus with both eyes open. However I am left eyed, this leaves my right eye looking at my right hand holding the camera blocking it's view. I painted the top end of my Newtonian flat black for the same reason. With my left eye at the eyepiece I can leave my right open and the telescope image seems to float in space, I'm not aware of the confines of the eyepiece. Interesting effect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm with pen on this. I'm very much left eyed. Never gave it any thought until someone commented years ago that I was using my K1000 "wrong". It is what it is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I focus with both eyes opened, as the OP. When young, I was taught to look into one eyepiece microscope with both eyes opened to reduce fatigue, and this habit was carried out with cameras.
    Last edited by jk0592; 07-27-2013 at 10:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am both left-handed and I use my left eye. It's interesting to read these comments. Yes, jk0592 fatigue is reduced. I wonder why? - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always have both eyes open, and am equally ambidextrous. I shoot right and left handed equally well. I don't have a dominent eye as some do.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm just about blind in one eye and can't see out the other. I'm 56 and can't see doodly squat hardly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same experience as jk0592 as I was taught to use a monocular microscope with both eyes open. This was partly to reduce fatigue and party to allow me to draw what I could see with my right eye with my left eye focussed on a piece of paper. The technique is to switch attention from one eye to the other as required which takes a bit of getting used to but is easy enough with practice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally use one eye, mostly the right one.
    But, it's a useful skill to have both eyes open if you are in a place where you need to pay attention to your surroundings.
    For example, war zones, dodgy urban areas, working at the out-of-bounds line at sporting events, the rim of the Grand Canyon, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never even thought about this until you mentioned it. I keep both open, though the camera often blocks the one eye. I make no effort to close one.
    On occasion, though, I will position the camera so it's not in the way if I'm trying to capture movement or am walking and taking pictures - sometimes it's good to see more than the viewfinder shows.

I seem to have a preference for the left eye through the viewfinder, but it is not exclusive.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin