Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,413   Online: 959

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depends on how you feel about meters, I'd say if you're not bothered about having a meter, a M2, M3 or M4(-P) can be a perfect camera. If you want a meter, along with nicer, brighter viewfinders, and easier film loading, get a Bessa or a Zeiss Ikon.

Contax G2 is a beautiful camera, but it does not have range finder style focusing.

If you're also considering medium format rangefinders, the GF670 is stunning.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    That would be interesting to put to the test.
    It's probably a very personal thing, but I finder I can focusing a range finder *far* faster than my SLR or TLR, but I expect it really varies from person to person.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I finder I can focusing a range finder *far* faster than my SLR or TLR, but I expect it really varies from person to person.
    Same here.
    And if the OP wants to go MF. I second the GF670 suggestion! All the speed of a rangefinder on a MASSIVE film plane.

Shooter
    35mm
    Comparing a fed5 to a Nikon FM2n is like comparing a blunt old axe to a surgeons scalpel. They will both do the job but the latter will be better.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My advice would be M2, but by far the most advantageous point about using a rangefinder are the frame finders in the viewfinder. These are a wonderful aid to composition, allowing you to see above, below and right to left of the subject. Also, unlike an SLR you do not lose sight of the subject at the moment you click the shutter. Less moving parts with no mirrors chucking up clouds of dust in front of the focal plane. If you make the switch, welcome to the simplistic world of rangefinders. Don't worry about a meter, as if you stick with one film/developer/enlarger, you will soon find you don't need one.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    If you enjoy shooting 50mm and 90mm lenses, there js nothing on the planet more exquisite, accurate, and pleasant than a Leica M3. I am just a 50mm shooter, and using an M3 safeguards you against the feeling of the need to upgrade to a better camera.

With a Voigtlander Heliar 50mm f/3.5 or a Summilux-ASPH (pricey!) you will be at the pinnacle of what is possible with 35mm film, with a small camera that never has to leave your side.

Used to have a very extensive Olympus OM system, but for most types of photography suited to 35mm, the M3 makes me happier than ever. Focusing speed and accuracy is unbelievable compared to an SLR.
    I have used Nikon SLR's for years. Still have and love my FE and my original F, but I now use mostly my M3 with a 50 mm 'Cron and a Circa 1937 Leica 90 mm lens. Camera Heaven.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd love an M3 more than anything in the world photographically, haha. Too bad pretty much any Leica gear is out of possibility for me. I always seem to get lucky in that I either find a few neat things here and there at thrift stores (which sounds unlikely for Leica gear) or friends give me equipment (which also seems highly unlikely, heh).
    Check out my website!

Yashica T4, Yashica Electro 35 GTN, Yashica-D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    That would be interesting to put to the test.
    I agree with Les, The Rf's are good at certain things but an SLR will have it's own strengths.

Try focusing & shooting quickly with a Visoflex.
    set the mirror, focus, set the lens to working aperture & shoot. Wanna race?
    If you set a limit to uses there's really no comparison, it's apples and artichokes.

Using anything but a standard mount lens can be challenging if not difficult.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    if you wanted a pro DSLR the choice is N or C...

if you need a pro rfdr there is also Leica.

The pick of the Canon rfdr is the Canon P the Nikon the S3 the Leica the M2 (or M4-2 if you can tolerate ugly) .

They all have the same shutter the Canon is stainless steel and noisier.

The Canon is cheaper and you have the option of the 60s lenses in single coating or the Cosina in multi.

In UK good P and slow 35mm SC or MC less than 500 GBP from dealer.

You load 400 ISO use ID68 for 650 prefocus at 7 foot /125 and 5.6 fast draw and fire like Gary Winogrand in their face.

Though Gary used a 28mm Canon on his M4 mostly.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rangefinders are generally good between 28-90mm depending on the finder magnification and perspective. Outside that realm an SLR rules. I would not get rid of an FM2n just because one is "switching" to rangefinder. Unless you have a low mag wide based finder using wide angles on range finders sucks!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin