Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,215   Online: 969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Can You Use a Super Canonflex R lens on a FD body?

I'm thinking of buying a Super Canonflex R 100 2.0 lens, and will need a body to shoot it with. I'm pretty sure I can use it on a FL body like a FTb, but what about on something like an AE1? I don't mind if it only works in stop down mode. Anyone have any experience w/ the Canonflex R lenses? I've never even seen one, but I understand the 100 2.0 is a heck of a good lens. Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    FL lenses can be used on FD bodies, including the AE1. I'm not sure whether the diaphragm becomes auto or manual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FTb is an FD body not an FL one, it has an auto diaphragm control, and an instant return mirror.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-29-2013 at 06:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Look up the manuals of the cameras you are interested in.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by manual of the FTb
    All Canon FL and R Lenses can be used with the FTb, except the FLP 38mm F2.8.
    Last edited by ath; 07-29-2013 at 06:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    The Super Canomatic R 100mm f/2 lens should work on any Canon FL or FD mount body, with the exception of the T50 on which the use of a non-FD mount lens is severely limitated. As you noted, the aperture will need to be stopped down manually. There are a couple of Canomatic R lenses that might have clearance problems with the mirror, metering pins and aperture levers on the later FD bodies (A and T series). Check the instruction manual for the specific camera as this varies slightly from body to body.
    Last edited by Yeeski; 07-29-2013 at 06:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is different with the T50??
    It has got the same coupling as the T70.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The main thing different about the T-50 is it's a piece of junk . No offense if someone has one of these clunkers, but wow, is that a bad camera. Ugly AND noisy. At least it's cheap. I suspect that you would not have full aperture selection on them w/ non FD lenses.

Thanks Yeeski, that's the sort of knowledge I was looking for. I understand the pins on the back of the R lenses can sometimes foul the mirror box area, but I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue. I'll probably buy a cheap AE-1. The last FTb I owned was a super camera w/ a very high build quality (no plastic in those babies, it's all solid metal), but the low magnification viewfinder was not suited to eyeglass wearers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Canonflex 100mm F2.0 R lens, as well as an AE-1. The lens will fit, and operate, on the camera with no problems. As mentioned by others, you will have to operate the lens in full manual mode, which you do by using the secondary depth-of-field aperture ring located directly behind the main aperture ring. The lens is a quite good, especially wide-open. I hear it uses the same optics as the highly-regarded Canon 100/2.0 rangefinder lens. For what it's worth, I use the 100/2.0 R on my old F-1 a lot and rarely on the AE-1. The AE-1 just isn't my cup of tea (got it free from a friend).

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm
    For its price bracket and target audience, the T50 was a very popular and successful model. It was an entry level, automatic exposure only camera for casual photographers buying their first and, perhaps, only SLR. It has all of the levers and pins needed to couple with any FD lens, but was designed to only work with FD lenses. The full range of shutter speeds is only available on the T50 if you mount an FD lens and set the aperture to the green "A." If you take an FD lens off the green "A" setting or mount a non-FD lens, the shutter defaults to a speed of 1/60 and you lose the camera's metering capability. You will only get proper exposure with a non-FD lens (e.g., FL mount, Canomatic R, or a manual aperture/pre-set lens) if the lens is set to the correct, manually determined f/stop for a 1/60 shutter speed for (a) the existing lighting conditions, or (b) for the specific flash unit attached.

With respect to the viewfinder magnification, the FTb and AE-1 are nearly identical (85x vs 86x, respectively). However, the AE-1's viewfinder should be slightly brighter due to its laser matte focusing screen.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you. I only thought about the coupling, but did not consider the rest resp. the lack of the rest with the T-50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin