Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 900

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't think there's any one "best camera". It depends a lot on what you use it for. The F5 is an excellent PJ camera but it would not be my first choice for hiking or street photography...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    I don't think there's any one "best camera". It depends a lot on what you use it for. The F5 is an excellent PJ camera but it would not be my first choice for hiking or street photography...
    so true, we know that
    think of your camera as a suit-if it fits you fine, that's the right one for you (taking into account it has a decnt optics attached of course)
    as many of us, I have so (too) many cameras at home, even a couple of superb Rolleis, but they are too heavy and bulky for my "ordinary" shooting style
    I also have a set of EOS cameras and then, in the end, I almost always end up to take with me my so beloved Canon AE1, mostly with the trusty 50mm
    why? because it is a breeze to use-simple, elegant, reliable as hell, and producing wonderful slides
    even though this camera has almost 35 years and an electronic shutter, it still runs as brand new
    last time I checked the shutter, it was only 2% off at 1/1000. not bad, huh?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    OK - I get given a Leica M6 and HCB gets a Brownie 127, we both go into town for 2 or 3 hours. Who comes back with the better pictures (not me).

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Best 35mm camera ever made? For me it would be either Leica M3, Rollei 35, or maybe Pentax MX, Nikon F, or something like that.

Rollei 35 is amazing value, completely manual and tiny. In terms of sheer engineering, I think I may have to go with that.

Shooter
    35mm
    The best 35mm camera means different things for different people.
    No 35mm camera is a "Jack of all trades, master of all". The Nikon F series tries to be that, but ultimately fails short on some accounts. As an example, if it is need a light weight, strong body camera for hiking, no Nikon F can be called light weight, although the last of the F series, the F6, tried very hard to be that.

Personally, different cameras and/or systems are better than others for some of the photography I do. At the moment, the Nikon EM, or the Nikon F75 if I need AF, is the best for what I am doing.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    +1. The best camera for the shot is the one you have with you.
    Amen.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like so many others have alluded to, it's a question that doesn't really do anybody any favors.

1. We are all different and like different things. My hands are very large, while other people might have small hands.
    2. The camera, as long as it works consistently, is probably the very least important thing in the chain of events. Think about it, the camera does very little, actually.
    3. Most of the variables in our work flow are not introduced by the equipment - it is introduced by us humans. What's between your ears and what you do with it to control your tools is five million times more important than the camera.

My answer is that the camera that we can make 'disappear' from our work flow, where we know it intimately enough that we know what to expect when we use it, is the best one, because it is the least distracting one, allowing you to focus your attention on the important part - the picture!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    OK - I get given a Leica M6 and HCB gets a Brownie 127, we both go into town for 2 or 3 hours. Who comes back with the better pictures (not me).
    Depending, of course, on whether or not HCB can find some 127 film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon F.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The best 35mm camera ever made is whichever one works for a particular individual, not a specific brand. For me, it's whatever one I have in hand when oppertunity arises, and I get the shot. I refuse to fall into the "my camera is better than yours" claptrap.
    Exactly my thought Rick!
    Andy

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin