Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 682

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    According to Ken Rockwell, the GREATEST 35mm ever made is the M-3.
    Who is Ken Rockwell?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess this thread is more about Nikon owners patting themselves on the back so they can feel good for owning what I consider a boat anchor.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't own a boat.

However I like my F5 best of the 35's I have shot. The best part is the personal defense aspect of it. You can take photos of the damage inflicted for the trial when the beating is over.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Prewar Leica , if you did not use it , you will never understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "comparisons are odious" the "best camera" is the one that you're most used to that you can operate without concious thought.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-30-2013 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    "comparisons are odious" the "best camera" is the one that you're most used to that you can operate without concious thought.
    That would be:
    Deardorff V8
    Nikon F
    Linhof STIV
    Rollei Standard

And what I have with me today, a Nikkormat FTN with a 28/3.5.

That's five "best cameras" but only two are 35s.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post

Who is Ken Rockwell?

Check out the website www.kenrockwell.com

You'll find equipment reviews that are unsponsored, independent, but personally biased toward ease of use and image quality, informative and entertaining articles and essays. For example, he raved about Canon's EOS 5d but now considers the Nikon D600 the best all-around DSLR available; he similarly wrote a good review of the Nikon N90/N90s, but picked the F100 apart eighteen ways from Sunday.

I confess, I spent a few years at measurebator level on his "Seven Levels of Photographer" scale, and I learned more from one of his articles on composition than anything else I've read on the subject. He raises the hackles of some, apparently aggravating the slavish Leica devotees the most, and may not be everybody's cup of tea [I enjoy the site, as you may have guessed].

Vince

Shooter
    Medium Format
    imho best 35mm SLR is the EOS 1v - no bigger or heavier than it needs to be + 100% visibility in the viewfinder + have dozens of lenses that will work on the lens mount with inexpensive adapters + good battery life & masses of bells & whistles if needed.

also it's not hard to find a good used one at a reasonable price + you can still purchase them brand new!
    best
    alex
    Last edited by culturesponge; 07-30-2013 at 10:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more blah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    +1. Well stated.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    I own three different systems, Nikon (manual and AF), Canon FD and Yashica, and couldn't care less which I'm using. Each delivers sharp images within the limits of a 35mm negative or transparency. My preference is for reasonably compact, fairly light cameras, if only for the fact I'm more likely to carry one with me, but hauling a metal bodied manual camera can be fun, so long as I wasn't expected to do it habitually.

Perhaps it comes down to whether you believe photography is something that fits into your life, or life has to revolve round photography? My best shots often come while doing something else, so some photographic compromises have to be made regarding the range of lenses carried and weight of camera bodies. I rarely feel under-gunned with an SLR and a 50mm 1.4 lens, but a 24mm acts as a comfort blanket in another pocket. For the times even an SLR is too much, my Olympus Mju II is as minimal as a 35mm camera can expect to be.

My fave SLR camera would have the optics of Contax, the build quality of a mechanical Nikon and the size of a Pentax ME with pancake lens.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin