Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,481   Posts: 1,571,144   Online: 1163

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Want your F5 to be lighter? Shoot with lithium AA's. Yeah, they aren't cheap, but they definitely make the camera lighter. Infinity focus has never been an issue for me on the F5's I've owned. It's possible my current one might have that issue, but can't really test at this time, since I'm missing a couple pieces. Namely the battery clip and the back.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    I agree with Chan Tran. With B&W and color negative film just use center weighted metering instead of matrix and you're always spot on. The same trick works for F100 as well.
    The size of the center weighted metering area can be set to several different choices in the Custom Settings menu of the F5.

Do you have a preference of setting size? I think 12mm is the default.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Nor presumably will a F6 either? Don't all autofocus cameras rely on contrast and texture to focus otherwise they "hunt" back and forth.

pentaxuser
    TTL autofocus system the kind used in SLR do need subject with contrast to focus. There are other system that don't need contrast at all like the sonar system used by polaroid and the active IR system used in some small P&S camera. Both of these however can't focus on distance subject.
    My post meant to ask the poster who said his F5 won't AF on infinity I am wondering what kind of subject he aim the camera at.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Want your F5 to be lighter? Shoot with lithium AA's. Yeah, they aren't cheap, but they definitely make the camera lighter. Infinity focus has never been an issue for me on the F5's I've owned. It's possible my current one might have that issue, but can't really test at this time, since I'm missing a couple pieces. Namely the battery clip and the back.

-J
    When I carry gear around weight isn't a problem but size is more of a problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhalsa View Post
    The size of the center weighted metering area can be set to several different choices in the Custom Settings menu of the F5.

Do you have a preference of setting size? I think 12mm is the default.
    I would prefer the 12mm like other Nikon CW system. Come to think of it you can set the spot to be the entire frame thus making it a true averaging metering system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I would prefer the 12mm like other Nikon CW system. Come to think of it you can set the spot to be the entire frame thus making it a true averaging metering system.
    Would that be better for B&W?

Shooter
    35mm
    I loved my F5 so much, I bought an F6.

Seriously, the F5 is an outstanding deal. Built like a tank and has most of the functions in the same area as modern DSLRs. My only complaints of the F5 were the difficult to see focus points, clumsy custom functions settings, and the power on button you have to depress to switch camera on. All of which are fixed on the F6.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe it's just my example or perhaps my vision (doubtful) but the focus points on my F5 are easily seen unless I'm shooting in the dark. In which case I go manual and use the focus aids. And I love the push button to turn it on/off. It is easy for me to aim,compose and shoot. The weight isn't an issue even carrying around a motocross track all day so maybe it is just me.

I want another one.....or maybe two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Want your F5 to be lighter? Shoot with lithium AA's. Yeah, they aren't cheap, but they definitely make the camera lighter.
    They last significantly longer too - even if you don't use the camera often. (They self-discharge more slowly than alkalines, and have a higher capacity to begin with too.)
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    They last significantly longer too - even if you don't use the camera often. (They self-discharge more slowly than alkalines, and have a higher capacity to begin with too.)
    I use high capacity rechargeable batteries. With my use, they last weeks (certainly longer than the rechargeable batteries in my digicam). The weight doesn't bother me.

Regarding the focus area visibility, I find it to be a feature. I don't want those targets to be too apparent when I'm composing anyway. I generally set autofocus on the AF-ON button, and use the center target then shift the frame to the composition I want.

Chan Tran - blank sky - too funny!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin