Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,438   Online: 820

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with the CW comments as well. I've quit using matrix in favor of center weighted now even on my digital cameras. CW is just more predictable and gives better results if you know how to compensate for specific scenes and lighting conditions. If you have to spray and pray in rapidly changing lighting then maybe matrix is better at getting you a higher percentage of decently exposed shots but I really don't do that kind of shooting much. Regardless of body, it's just a matter of learning how your specific camera's meter responds and then adjusting your technique.

Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    I agree with Chan Tran. With B&W and color negative film just use center weighted metering instead of matrix and you're always spot on. The same trick works for F100 as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    I use high capacity rechargeable batteries. With my use, they last weeks (certainly longer than the rechargeable batteries in my digicam). The weight doesn't bother me.

Regarding the focus area visibility, I find it to be a feature. I don't want those targets to be too apparent when I'm composing anyway. I generally set autofocus on the AF-ON button, and use the center target then shift the frame to the composition I want.

Chan Tran - blank sky - too funny!
    I've tried the Eneloops and soon after (maybe day or so) the power meter dropped significantly. I think this is because of the 1.2v batteries (as apposed to the 1.5v it's expecting).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, best thing to do, unless you're using the MN-30 NiMH pack, is to use the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. No, not cheap, but they do last a long time, and the camera is a little lighter, as mentioned in my previous post.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Yeah, best thing to do, unless you're using the MN-30 NiMH pack, is to use the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. No, not cheap, but they do last a long time, and the camera is a little lighter, as mentioned in my previous post.

-J
    I agree. I've used them before.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've had a totally different experience with Sanyo NiHMs, I use several sets for my F5, and they have held charge for months. During even a 8-12 hour CS session (constantly focusing), I tend to get a good six hours on a set running AF-s lenses. If I could get reliable MN-30s, I'd use those, but there aren't any new ones.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    I've had a totally different experience with Sanyo NiHMs, I use several sets for my F5, and they have held charge for months. During even a 8-12 hour CS session (constantly focusing), I tend to get a good six hours on a set running AF-s lenses. If I could get reliable MN-30s, I'd use those, but there aren't any new ones.
    I'm sure the batteries last a while, but how does the battery level meter respond? Does it show like it's half full soon after starting to use them?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    F5 Weight? Heck I have no problem with mine and my wife has no problems with hers. Don

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mweintraub View Post
    I'm sure the batteries last a while, but how does the battery level meter respond? Does it show like it's half full soon after starting to use them?
    Honestly, I don't pay attention; I always leave everything on the top display set to the same thing so I never look at it- I put new batteries in, and I shoot until AF stops working. When I look then, it's at the totally empty reading. At a recent shoot, I noticed it reading at half full, but I didn't have any problems using AF-c/matrix for a couple hours.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since I am the late one to this thread, I prefer my F5 to my F4S. I use center weighted metering as not that I was having problems with matrix, I was just taking many photos where my subject had crazy lights behind or beside them....just didn't want to take the chance and I believe we had that discussion about two years, maybe three years ago on that very subject here on APUG.

I use Eneloops almost exclusively and ensure they are fully recharged or perhaps even cycled (if I think about it) before using the camera outside of the home. I figure if I run out in the back yard I go back into the house and get different batteries and hopefully not miss much of the action.

This reminds me, I should load that camera up this weekend a shoot a couple of rolls through it.....been awhile since I have used it.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin