Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,690   Online: 775

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F5/F6 weight?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by henbo View Post
    The weight without batteries according to Nikons website:
    F100: 785 g
    F6: 975 g
    F5: 1210 g

And if you often shoot with the vertical grip, adding it to the F6 will add 35.495 oz [source: KR].
    So this means that the F6 + MB-40 will be:
    ~1010 g.

so a half a lb lighter for the F6, but it will be taller than the F5 with the built in grip.

To each their own. If I had a F6, I'm sure I wouldn't mind, but the price, for me, makes it not possible.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    How do they compare in weight?
    You haven't researched weight specs on the net? I much prefer the size/weight of the F6 over the F5. The removeable vertical grip of the F6 is a nice feature when wanting a more compact/light body.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by damonff View Post
    I love my F6. I have had all of the Fs except the first one. These are my impressions of each:

F2: Best camera I have ever used. I have 2. The only feature I miss on it is auto focus. It has a grand simplicity about it that is unchallenged.
    F3: Great meter and very solid. I use mine with the motor drive and the sound is wonderful. It is very heavy though and not good for a walk around.
    F4: Very sleek and nice but I did not like the cheap feel and the auto focus is slow. Sold it.
    F5: Extremely well made. Extremely everything but unfortunately also extremely heavy and cumbersome. Sold it.
    F6: Everything I have always wanted in a camera. Solid F feel, smooth, quiet, fast, lots of customizable options. Pure bliss.
    I like the F3 for when I want to go light as it's the smallest F series camera without the motor drive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I like the F3 for when I want to go light as it's the smallest F series camera without the motor drive.
    Yup. Happens to be the size of a Nikkormat FT series camera.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Yes, the F3 without the motor drive is fabulous. The winder is so smooth and silky. And aperture priority makes it very easy to shoot. Awesome camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At risk of being coy... just get an F100 and calll it done, and use the money saved on a trip to use the gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    At risk of being coy... just get an F100 and calll it done, and use the money saved on a trip to use the gear.
    I have a F100, but the cheap plastic catches on the back broke, and I'll never get another one. My N90s has metal catches.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Plus, for the most part, you might save only enough to buy a couple rolls of Provia 400X by getting an F100 over an F5. There's not much difference in price between the two.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    I've owned the F100, F5, and now F6. I also have a D700 for low light and high shot count stuff.

My F6 with no grip weighs about the same as the D700 without grip. Heavy, but manageable and has a great quality feel to it.

Nikon F5

Pros

• Built like a tank
    • Bargain for a pro quality camera
    • Can use different prisms if that is your thing
    • Matrix meter is outstanding

Cons

• Focus points are difficult to see
    • Custom functions are a little clumsy
    • Full-time pro body form factor
    • Cannot use Nikon CLS systems
    • Mushy rear command button

Nikon F6

Pros

• More focus points and highlighted in red
    • Removable grip when needed for hiking, etc
    • Can use EN-EL4a battery in the grip
    • Nikon CLS compatible
    • Matrix metering for Ai lenses and can be upgraded to take pre-Ai lenses
    • Command selector on back is more responsive
    • Setting custom functions is much easier than F5s

Cons

• Pricey, but worth the cost if you love film
    • No interchangeable prisms (not an issue with me)

One other fact I love about the F6 is the ability to download exif data with the MV-1 (I think F100 and F5 have the same capability). With the F6, it is super easy and I simply convert to excel spreadsheet, print out and store with my negatives.

The F100 is also an excellent camera and great if you only occasionally shoot film or don't need the features of F5 or F6. The F5 is a beast and takes just photos just as good as my F6. The F6 is just a lot more user friendly and since I shoot my F6 much more than my D700, switching from the F5 to the F6 was an easy decision.

Nikon F6, 50mm f/1.4G, Fuji Provia 100F

Sample of exif data I printed out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F5=1210gr
    F6=975 gr
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin