Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,543   Posts: 1,544,415   Online: 1072

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F5/F6 weight?

Shooter
    35mm

F5/F6 weight?

Has anyone handled both cameras? How do they compare in weight? Thanks, Chip

Shooter
    35mm
    The F5 is just way too big and heavy. The F6 is acceptable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    F6 is around the same weight as a F100 or a D200. Close enough I don't notice the difference.
    I *do* notice an F5, that's for sure!
    As well: the F6 with the optional large battery power handle becomes a lot heavier, although still not the same as the F5.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    35mm
    It isn't only the weight it is the bulk of the F5 that has put me off buying one. The fixed motordrive base makes it just that bit too big to use as an everyday tool which is easily carried. I would also love an F6 but they are still a bit too expensive at present so I will soldier on with my F100's and F4 (basic model), but even that is a bit of a 'lump'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have noted, the F5 has a decided heft to it; while I personally don't find its size problematic (I often carry it around with a 80-200 F2.8D ED attached), others might. The F6, without the optional MB40, is decidedly lighter; I purchased the drive unit shortly after picking up the camera, because I felt it gave the camera better balance and handling with longer lenses. While it added a bit of weight, the package still feels somewhat lighter than the F5 ( I have the two in front of me as I write, but alas, no scale to weigh each). In either case, two cameras with exceptional ergonomics!
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've *owned* both.

Simply put, the F6 is THE BEST 35mm SLR I've *ever* used. Period. Combine it with the latest G-series(ya, the "neutered"(no aperture ring) ones) lenses, and you are in 35mm HOG HEAVEN!!!

The F5 is wonderful too. If you want FAST slr shooting, and feel like having a beatin-down-the-zombie-apocalypse, then-take-pictures-to-document-the-aftermath camera, the F5 would be my 2nd choice(well after my 2 F4 bodies )

But in hindsight, the F6 was a very straightforward tool. The integrated data back allows for many options(of which I never used any), just read up on it.

ONE drawback(to me): the F6 takes CR-123 batteries. If you travel, you'll want to bring a couple sets of spares. The F/4/F4s & F5 takes AA batteries if you have the AA battery trays for each. AA batteries are plentiful and can be found worldwide, in the smallest of shops. CR123's, not as easily. But to me, that's a VERY MINOR issues. But one to not be forgotten IMO.

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have handled both cameras and definitely prefer the feel of the F5 over the F6. That is why I have 2 F5s and no F6s. For me it isn't the weight but that the F6 seems to have a plastically feel that does not appeal to me. Both are just a personal feeling. Don

Shooter
    35mm
    I love my F6. I have had all of the Fs except the first one. These are my impressions of each:

F2: Best camera I have ever used. I have 2. The only feature I miss on it is auto focus. It has a grand simplicity about it that is unchallenged.
    F3: Great meter and very solid. I use mine with the motor drive and the sound is wonderful. It is very heavy though and not good for a walk around.
    F4: Very sleek and nice but I did not like the cheap feel and the auto focus is slow. Sold it.
    F5: Extremely well made. Extremely everything but unfortunately also extremely heavy and cumbersome. Sold it.
    F6: Everything I have always wanted in a camera. Solid F feel, smooth, quiet, fast, lots of customizable options. Pure bliss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The weight without batteries according to Nikons website:
    F100: 785 g
    F6: 975 g
    F5: 1210 g

The F6 has a very nice set of features, the matrix metering with AI lenses, the data printing between the frames, the build quality, the possibility to use a split field focus screen, the possibility to use it both with and without the battery grip, battery performance, data export with data reader MV-1, etc. all lives up to my highest expectations. I find that the metering system of the F6 matches my shooting style the best compared to my other cameras.
    I have both a F100 and two F6s and the F100 haven't been used much since I got my first F6. The build quality of the F6 is in another league than the F100 in my opinion.
    The battery grip MB-40 is very nice and gives outstanding battery performance with both rechargeable AA batteries and the EN-EL4 battery. When travelling I most of the time leave the battery grip at home and use the F6 with two CR123 batteries only. A fresh set of CR123, last about 10-14 rolls of 36 exposures.

The F6 is the best slr I ever used (including my Nikon D3) imo.
    Henning

Shooter
    35mm
    The F5 is quite a bit bigger and heavier than the F6, as others have noted. Whether that matters or not is up to you. In general the F5 is a better choice for longer, heavier lenses. It balances them nicely. The F5 is also a lot cheaper than an F6.

For my money, the best cameras ever made are the Minolta Maxxum 9, the Nikon F6, and the Canon EOS 1-V, in that order. The F6 will run you around $1000 used, while either of the others can be had for $400 or less. The F6 is far and away the best film camera Nikon ever made.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin