Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,344   Online: 776

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What I meant by bracketing is just that. Did you calculate exposure, then make a couple exposures opened up a stop or two. I didn't have the luxury of doing that, but when I used to make art photos on E-6 sometimes a shot opened up a stop was worth the effort in my travels.

It was typical for people to make three exposures of things over under and spot on when I worked in labs, I'd see it all the time, thought you might have to, and in this case pushing the film a stop along with the "one over" exposures would have perhaps saved your lunch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The OP said it was bright, "eye-burning bright". That could mean that the underexposure could be a bit less than thought. I suggest that if possible you take exposure readings on a similar day to figure as accurately as possible how much the film is underexposed. Maybe a 2 and 1/2 stop push would be adequate. If it was bright enough, maybe even less. Every bit helps.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I absolve you of all forgiveness. Or whatever.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd bet the film is toast because it is slide film. I love to shoot B&W film, especially Tri-X, because it is very forgiving (there's that word again) and can tolerate a 3 stop error if you know how to develop it. Won't be perfect, but it won't be a write off either. My experience w/ slide film has clearly not been the same. Color negative film has a wide exposure latitude too.

Hey, it just gives you a good reason to somehow go back and reshoot the images. At the least it was a hard won lesson, and those are the ones that you remember. Mistakes are part of the deal. The only way anyone gets experience is by doing what you're not supposed to do. That's what the word experience really means.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post

I'd also suggest as Wolfeye has doing it yourself. You will get color shifts by not processing it by directions at the very least, and it'll be unknown what you get for an image. I've developed plenty of E6 and it's not hard.
    But people who process it professionally and are experienced, know what to do to optimize results. Some processors even push/pulled Kodachrome, something they didn't get help from Kodak on, and salvaged a lot of mis-exposed film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I absolve you of all forgiveness. Or whatever.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd bet the film is toast because it is slide film.
    Once at Big Sur, I underexposed most of a roll of K25 because I thought I had K64 in the camera. That's a stop and a third. Normally processed, it came out gorgeous. Deeply saturated, dark shadows, but for the subject matter, it was beautiful.
    There is definitely something on the film, and push-processing should be able to salvage enough to make it worth doing, if the images are important. Reshooting would be best, if it is a viable option; if not, and the OP cares about the images enough, then it is worth doing. What Stephen Frizza has said is very interesting; he's not just some guy talking- he knows his stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What I find sad is standing back and reading all thee threads about trying to push it 3 stops or the notion that doing this will not yield a good result.
    Hearing people think that because its a slide film its "Toast"...... I can tell you all now with the right chemistry and right processing method all these cherished images can be saved with wonderful results.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. I think there's a huge amount of ignorance about the slide process itself and people believing there's some kind of magic going on that doesn't apply to negative films.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    What I find sad is standing back and reading all thee threads about trying to push it 3 stops or the notion that doing this will not yield a good result.
    Hearing people think that because its a slide film its "Toast"...... I can tell you all now with the right chemistry and right processing method all these cherished images can be saved with wonderful results.
    The slide shooter's version of "fix it in post."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd love to know what eventually happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I'd like to hear more about it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin