Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,576   Online: 875
      
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 72
  1. #61
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,681
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    ROR and Kimwipes?

    Guys you only need fighter fluid, 99% isoproponal, or preferably Naphtha (white gas). Use a PEC pad, small amount, and done.
    N.A.S.A. use R.O.R to clean their optics http://www.ror.net/ if Lighter fuel, naptha or isopropanol were better products they would use them.
    Ben

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    N.A.S.A. use R.O.R to clean their optics http://www.ror.net/ if Lighter fuel, naptha or isopropanol were better products they would use them.
    Unfortunately, these are the same folks who claimed you'd get 1 stop greater lens speed using their product. Cum grano salis...

    They'll never see a cent of my money.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    15,944
    we cleaned a very dirty transom window with ROR, we got 2 or 3 stops better than before ..
    we drank the koolaid

  4. #64
    Newt_on_Swings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,787
    I use eclipse solution and pec pads for everything lens or glass related. It evaporates really well and leaves no residue or streaks. Kinda like 99% isopropyl but even less impurities. It's even safe for sensors which ROR is not.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    we cleaned a very dirty transom window with ROR, we got 2 or 3 stops better than before ..
    we drank the koolaid
    What was in it?

  6. #66
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I use eclipse solution and pec pads for everything lens or glass related. It evaporates really well and leaves no residue or streaks. Kinda like 99% isopropyl but even less impurities. It's even safe for sensors which ROR is not.
    My cameras don't have sensors, only film.
    Ben

  7. #67
    Newt_on_Swings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    My cameras don't have sensors, only film.
    Haha well if it's good enough for a sensor then it's good enough for my lenses and filters!

  8. #68
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,838
    Images
    57

    How damaged is your lens coating???

    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    N.A.S.A. use R.O.R to clean their optics http://www.ror.net/ if Lighter fuel, naptha or isopropanol were better products they would use them.
    Seriously? Most professional lens techs are using high grade ethanol and/or heptane or hexane to clean lenses. What do you think naphtha is? It's pentane/heptane/hexane based on the particular distillation process and "cut" used. Why do they use it? It's entirely non polar, will not harm surrounding materials, and evaporates incredibly fast.

    Everything else is overpriced water+alcohol. Lens cleaner manufactures are having a laugh.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    15,944
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What was in it?
    i think it was kind of fizzy from the little that i remember
    and kind of bluish, and left a slippery feeling on our tongues.

    i don't remember much but how bright it was ( like f3.8 bright ! )
    i woke up wet and cold under a shrub a few days later ...
    ask me how ..

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i think it was kind of fizzy from the little that i remember
    and kind of bluish, and left a slippery feeling on our tongues.

    i don't remember much but how bright it was ( like f3.8 bright ! )
    i woke up wet and cold under a shrub a few days later ...
    Were there any small furry animals watching you?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin