Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,130   Online: 967

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Most difficult 35mm camera to load

What do APUGers think is the most difficult camera to load? Although I hate to admit it, the old Leica’s must be near the top of the list. Even an M2 is not the sort of camera you could reload while running across a battle field.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me, Leica IIIf, I found it a real pain in the a**. Leica M3 was very simple by comparison. I'm not normally that fussy about how hard a camera is to load, but it's not enjoyable at all, I can load a 4x5 film holder both sides faster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate loading my Nikkormat FTN. The film never catches! I took to taping the leader to the take-up spool years ago...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    While some might feel the M3 is ok to load, for me it's a major pita. I've lost some good shots due to it's fiddlyness. Just couldn't get the darn film to catch - grrrr. OTH my M5 is a dream. Funny I never had a problem with my Nikkormat Ftn, loved that camera.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica screw mount and Soviet copies - I tried to load old Zenit C (got it because it is one of the smallest 35mm SLR ever) - after 3 films with 0 successful frames - I sold the camera. And yes, I tried with bulb option, I trimmed the film as explained ... it is pain. M3 and M6 are super easy - almost easy as nikon F3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by heterolysis View Post
    I hate loading my Nikkormat FTN. The film never catches! I took to taping the leader to the take-up spool years ago...
    Is the spool damaged? I can load mine in a hurry by holding the roll in my left palm, thumbing the leader into the slot, giving the spool a half turn with said thumb, sliding the roll into position, closing the back with my right thumb and voila!

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess the old Leica is difficult to load but I never used one so I don't know. Funny I have a hard time loading the autoload camera like my Nikon F5. Many times the film wouldn't lay flat for me to close the cover correct for the film to load.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Is the spool damaged? I can load mine in a hurry by holding the roll in my left palm, thumbing the leader into the slot, giving the spool a half turn with said thumb, sliding the roll into position, closing the back with my right thumb and voila!
    So I'm alone? I guess that's a good thing. It's been this way for 15+ years... The leader doesn't really go into the slot. Not enough for the one little tooth to catch. Will play around with it, there's still hope!

EDIT!

With all my might I jammed the lead of some Tri-X in and it went. I am amazed. Something must have been lodged in there---I almost lost some fingers one winter trying to load it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the bottom loader Leicas, Canons, Zorkis and FEDs win the prize here, no question. The Ms are a darn sight better, but still a chore compared with cameras with swing-open backs and fixed spools.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nikon bodies are easy to load. Even the F with its non-hinged removable back. Just loaded up the FT3 with a roll of Velvia. Took all of 10 seconds from start to finish.

The early Leicas and other copies are kind of a pain...

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin