Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,869   Posts: 1,583,300   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: worth keeping?

Shooter
    35mm

worth keeping?

Yesterday I picked up a used Rokinon 80-200 F4.5 with a pentax K mount, manual, for 10.00. I didn't notice until I got home that it is stuck wide open. Is it worth holding onto at that point?

Although I am still learning my shooting technique and photographic style, very rarely do I go above 6.5 or so. My initial intention for this lens is to try my hand at railroad photography. I do have a 50mm prime, but it would be handy to have something longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At that price I'd try and fix it myself, I have done similar in the past. It's not one of the good 3rd party makes but it might be OK.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I popped the back off last night but I am not sure where exactly the pressure is coming from to close the aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might not be a pressure problem per-se. It may just need some lube, in the appropriate spots. Maybe just a cla vs repair.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr
    Peter Carter

Shooter
    35mm
    For what it is, F4.5 through its zoom range, its worth a shot. At the very least if it is a poor lens, I have one to learn about optic repair on. With rail photography, itll be hard to get everything tack sharp with a fast moving object. Looking at the F stop in my copy of "The art of Railroad Photography" most of the photos are f4 to 5.6. There are a few non-train but railroad related photos with a higher F stop, but those are done from 50mm and wider.

mrred, where can I find information on how to lube lenses properly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing zooms are good for - pay attention to which focal lengths you like to use it at, then get good Takumar primes in these lengths.

W.F. Nye sells optical damping grease for the helicoids. The aperture mechanisms are usually best cleaned and left dry - it may be a problem of lube or separated grease creeping into where it doesn't belong.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Whenever a zoom lens comes with an old camera deal I picked up, I throw it in the garbage. And to think how much I wanted one as a teenager back in the early 70's.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The aperture mechanisms are usually best cleaned and left dry - it may be a problem of lube or separated grease creeping into where it doesn't belong.
    But typically the diaphragm is closed by outer force and opened by internal spring-force. Thus grease related problems show up during opening, not closing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But typically the diaphragm is closed by outer force and opened by internal spring-force. Thus grease related problems show up during opening, not closing.
    Yes on a screwmount Pentax. Not on the Nikon I have in front of me. I don't know about the Pentax K mount.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 08-01-2013 at 04:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Correct mistake

Shooter
    35mm
    What I did notice when I had the back off, I can move the ring that operates the aperture blades, and when they are moved, they feel and react slow and stiff. It must be from old grease. What I can do, Im able to operate the aperture after repositioning the ring away from fully open, it functions fine at a high f stop "f32 and down". When getting to the lower "5.6 and higher" the aperture will change its value, but with a delay. It only gets stuck when fully open. I know the quick fix would not be to open it all the way, but I do want to use f4.5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin