Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,711   Online: 767

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    "If the film is paralel to the actual important verticals and horizontals in your scene then those verticals and horizontals will be straight on the film too. "

Finally someone explains the crux of the problem!
    If you understand the basic principles than you can do better composition.
    The film plane must always be parallel to the plane of the scene you are photographing or distortion will result.
    I use a 24mm with SLR and 21mm with Rangefinder, no level, no tripod, no ground glass with grid but knowing the physics can minimize the effects.
    So without a tilting lens such as the Nikkor series of Perspective Control lenses or view camera, there will be times that you can't avoid distortion but at least you will understand why.-Dick
    Thanks Dick - this is beginning to make sense. When I ventured into photography, I didn't realize I was delving into physics, in addition to chemistry and advanced mathematics. Art, I was expecting, but the others have blindsided me!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    It gives a true level, so that the image will appear as it appears to the person looking at the actual scene.
    We automatically "self-level" constantly, through our sense of balance. Looking through a viewfinder or at a groundglass image, it is not always easy to perceive tilt, as we, not being tilted, are not sensing tilt while looking at the image. We therefore have to determine tilt, instead of just knowing it. By putting a level on the camera, we determine that we have eliminated tilt.
    Ok, yea this is helpful. I'm beginning to piece it together. Now I need to go buy a $400 level from B&H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    Ok, yea this is helpful. I'm beginning to piece it together. Now I need to go buy a $400 level from B&H
    Not that I believe you're actually going to buy a $400 level, but since you brought up a number... Why not spend that money to go to a Large Format camera workshop or similar learning opportunity where you could actually see the effects of changing the orientation of the film in relation to the scene.

Heck you might even be able to find somebody fairly close to you with a view camera that has the appropriate movements and be able to bribe them into taking you to the field to show you how swings and tilts of the back work.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No, not the expensive stuff. When I go out serious backpacking, all I take is the yellow-green tube removed from the cheapest level I could find.

Should have seen me scrounging for a stick long enough to reach it when it rolled under a rock...

Shooter
    35mm
    hey, didn't know there was a club for crooky horizoners--where do i sign up?

luckily, not a biggie in the darkroom, unless you welded your easel to the base... just a wee bit lossy in scanning

(my contribution to the club would be a marvelously dumb one--all my life my horizons were dippin' on the right, so i used to think my right hand was "heavy" and compensated by making sure i push up ever so slightly... with the obvious result. just understood it last winter )

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seriously though, I think I heard this on The Daily Show, so not exactly a academic source, but there is a alliance or group somewhere in the world that is disputing whether the world actually is round!
    Well, technically the earth ISN'T round, it's not a sphere, it's more ovular in shape... Just sayin'...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks Dick - this is beginning to make sense. When I ventured into photography, I didn't realize I was delving into physics, in addition to chemistry and advanced mathematics. Art, I was expecting, but the others have blindsided me!
    I agree, never realized that either ...

Also, just get a tripod head with a level built into it like me

And Bill... Haha oh no!!

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seriously though, I think I heard this on The Daily Show, so not exactly a academic source, but there is a alliance or group somewhere in the world that is disputing whether the world actually is round!
    The best known group is The Flat Earth Society
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Evidence from the space shuttle suggests the earth is a disc. As the shuttle goes "around" the world the illusion of a round or ovoid is actually a psychological phenomenon.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Evidence from the space shuttle suggests the earth is a disc. As the shuttle goes "around" the world the illusion of a round or ovoid is actually a psychological phenomenon.
    I can't tell if you're being facetious or not...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin