Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,518   Online: 1034

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I can't tell if you're being facetious or not...
    Oh Stone, Stone, Stone.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    He is young and has much to learn.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I can't tell if you're being facetious or not...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Stone may be spending too much time around models
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I think Stone may be spending too much time around models
    Haha it's true... I have... They are all so young and it might be getting to me...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sounds like a picture of a brick wall might be in order... to determine if the film gate is out of wack with the viewfinder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    Yes, this is kinda what I thought. Maybe others can speak to why a level necessarily corrects the issue?

Mark
    It doesn't neccesarily correct the issue, especially if it isn't calibrated to the filmplane.But a lot of folks seem to think it's magical! By this I mean the bubble being centered when the filmplane is perfectly vertical and level left to right. If you are photographing a building (for instance) which is perfectly plumb, level, and rectilinear, just true the filmplane with your level. But what if the buliding isn't perfectly plumb? This is where the gridlines save you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    But what if the buliding isn't perfectly plumb?
    This is just one example of the many places a level will lead one astray.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    This is just one example of the many places a level will lead one astray.
    I rest my case.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless one is doing science there comes a point where being correct doesn't necessarily make the best picture. That's where art comes in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Unless one is doing science there comes a point where being correct doesn't necessarily make the best picture. That's where art comes in.
    That's why I've been suggesting that the OP find somebody with a view camera and go play.

One truly fun aha moment I had was when I figured out I could, in the right scene, skew the perception of how tall a mountain looks and make a more interesting print by manipulating the tilt (front to back pitch) of the back to get an effect similar to what a painter like Georgia O'Keefe could get and still get a visually level horizon by manipulating the tilt of the film right or left (roll).

With a bit of experience using a LF camera and then seeing some of O'Keefe's paintings that were next to her own photos of the same scene it suddenly clicked for me and opened a whole new set of opportunities. One where level by the bubble isn't even relevant.
    Last edited by markbarendt; 08-06-2013 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin