Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,574   Online: 1015

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    That's why I've been suggesting that the OP find somebody with a view camera and go play.

One truly fun aha moment I had was when I figured out I could, in the right scene, skew the perception of how tall a mountain looks and make a more interesting print by manipulating the tilt (front to back pitch) of the back to get an effect similar to what a painter like Georgia O'Keefe could get and still get a visually level horizon by manipulating the tilt of the film right or left (roll).

With a bit of experience using a LF camera and then seeing some of O'Keefe's paintings that were next to her own photos of the same scene it suddenly clicked for me and opened a whole new set of opportunities. One where level by the bubble isn't even relevant.
    Agree completely. Even if you don't stay with it long a view camera can teach you so much, to say nothing of the upside down image, a revelation in itself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure I didn't miss something here. All my LF kits have a small level. That way if the compositional need arises I can level the camera. If it doesn't arise, the instrument can stay in the bag. I'm certainly not going to use it for every photo. Or not use it for every photo.

It's quite portable and light weight and not much of a bother to carry, after all.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You didn't miss anything Ken.

I'm not suggesting that levels have no value, just that they only provide someplace "close" to start correcting from. Levels can't see the exceptions in front of the camera.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I rest my case.
    So you're going to blame all your crooked shots on the architect now?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So you're going to blame all your crooked shots on the architect now?
    Could be the builder's fault...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    If we are going to go through the trouble, why not just go to the top and blame THE "Architect" .... If you know what I mean... White beard, probably senile which is why it's crooked... Haha

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    When I was a kid way back when, living in So Cal, my brother actually spotted a new office building from the freeway that he said was crooked. Turns out he was right, and he was not the only onle that noticed, not long after that the newspaper did a story about the building.

Builder's fault as I remember.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If we are going to go through the trouble, why not just go to the top and blame THE "Architect" .... If you know what I mean... White beard, probably senile which is why it's crooked... Haha
    Because it's probably the builder that's crooked!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    This is just one example of the many places a level will lead one astray.
    The OP uses 35mm. None of my 35s have anyplace to put a level except the accessory shoe - and only one of my 5 35s has an accessory shoe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The OP uses 35mm. None of my 35s have anyplace to put a level except the accessory shoe - and only one of my 5 35s has an accessory shoe.
    The base, the back, the front of the lens against the filter ring, the side of the camera?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin