Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,085   Online: 937

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon 35-70mm - haze/fungus

Hi, I am looking at this lens since there are many available, I thought that since I have dismantled down laptops and LCDs, and I have seen a video re: the more expensive Nikon 24-70 that I could do this myself?

Generally are the haze/fungus on the front of the lens and is it generally on the first accessible glass? Do these jobs at the service centre run for $150-250?

Many thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What do lenses have that laptops and LCDs do not? Lots of moving parts that fit together only one way, optical cells that are cemented together, and the need for many more specialized tools than screwdrivers. I don't mean to sound condescending; it's just that you can really mess the lens up merely by taking one thing off without knowing the consequences. Believe me, I know.

I haven't seen the video about the 24-70, but I would definitely not make any assumptions about the construction of the 35-70 based on the construction of the 24-70. For one thing, the optical design will be much different, and that's what you're going to be going at.

If you can find a lot of these lenses, I'd say wait for a clean one. Or buy the bad one for a really good price after confirming that the service center will be willing and able to work on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would not assume the haze/fungus would be common and that it will be at a certain location. Surely, front element problems are easier to spot but it doesn't mean that's the only/primary place problems will appear. Also.... you will need special tools to take these lenses apart safely and put them together. Just remember, ONE SLIP, and you could trash the lens. Once you gouge the element, it's game over.

Unless you are talking about really cheap lens at bargain basement prices or a rare one, I will not suggest buying lens with these problems. You say plenty are available. Why not just get one that's good?

It's relatively easy to take apart enlarger lenses and repair them. I've done many. But doing the same with taking lens and with zoom is entirely different. I wouldn't try it myself....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks - was thinking of the sub $100 bargain bins. There is quite a no. of them with the issue of haze or even fungus and from what I read on the forums. It's a push pull design and maybe with its dated coating at the time. Decent one are $350 for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had an example that I thought had a haze problem and sent it to the late Pete Smith for cleaning. He told me it actually had a bad lens component or group, that Nikon no longer had replacements, and that it was a relatively common problem with that lens model. I have not heard this elsewhere, but that is what I was told, and he was a revered Nikon lens tech.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have the lens and love it. if you can find a good sample get it

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks all I managed to get one without haze etc for $210 it did have some tiny nicks on the front glass from my understanding that's fine for non collectors will report back intend to test with my 50 1.8 fad.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin