Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,844   Online: 880

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Glad you clarified your first post!

In terms of film I have pushed medium format Provia 400X to 1600 and it worked out pretty well. Personally I would shoot Portra but mostly because I love the colours, everything to taste of course. I would think you should plan on shooting at least at ISO 800 if not higher in the forest.

Also if you are planning to process your film before you fly home I can recommend The Lab Vancouver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    Good advice. Myself I have never encounter a bear in the wilderness but the advice of the 400-600mm ++ lenses might be adequate if you could run VERY fast. The wilderness photograph opportunities are quite abundant when travelling in the backcountry in B.C. but many people do not have a firm grasp on reality. My favorite lenses out in the country is a 500mm mirror with 2x or else my 400mm on a A body Canon. Probably with a fast film too. But you must use the proper film and lens so that you get a good bokeh in the frame when the bear is attacking you ;o) ...
    When shooting wildlife, I travel light: My F6 and a second F5/F3HP/F2 body, three lenses 80-200, 400 and 600 (plus the teleconverter), a supply of film and a monopod. Everything fits into a smaller Lowepro backpack. Insofar as bears are concerned, if a hear the tell-tale snort, a few too many turns of the head, or I see the bear start to paw the ground...my a** is out of there!
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again everyone - and thanks adolorenzo re the Vancouver tip, much appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    "Fuji Provia 400X for British Columbia", since the film is discontinued now I thought you were offering a trade
    10 out of 10 for this piece of humour. I like this.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it is safe now to post this link: http://www.montypython.net/scripts/lumberj.php

The Lab would be a good choice.

As would Customcolor.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Love it! Yes, the trade option email was brilliant - as is the Monty Python sketch.

Yes, was seriously bummed out re Provia 400X being discontinued but we can still get it in-store here in Sydney, so hence the question.

Thanks again everyone - i must say the forum here is a lot more fun/welcoming than some other photography sites!

Cheers,
    JW

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1970 View Post
    Love it! Yes, the trade option email was brilliant - as is the Monty Python sketch.

Yes, was seriously bummed out re Provia 400X being discontinued but we can still get it in-store here in Sydney, so hence the question.

Thanks again everyone - i must say the forum here is a lot more fun/welcoming than some other photography sites!

Cheers,
    JW
    Chasing off bears with a tripod, watching for falling trees through a tele lens and fighting off other photographers for that last roll of Provia 400 ... who said photography is boring??
    It is full of real WOW moments.
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 08-12-2013 at 03:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    I second all the comments about caution in bear country, and would add that a 400mm lens is too short for wildlife unless you are at a zoo or shooting from a blind. That said, Provia 400 can be pushed to 1600 with excellent results, and I have always suspected (though never tried) that it would do fine at 3200. I took six rolls earlier this year on a trip to Alaska, along with six rolls of VS. But we had beautiful weather all week and the extra stops were not needed.

How sad to see that Fuji is discontinuing it! I was hoping they had better sense. Time to stash some in the freezer next to the VS. Guess I won't be buying much frozen food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin