Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,439   Online: 981

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Provia 400x for British Columbia?

H folks.
    I am taking my legendary Canon EOS 1V to the rain forests of BC, Canada, to chase/photograph bears and was wondering if The above Provia is the best choice or I go for a faster negative film instead?
    Lenses are: 24-105 and 100-400 (and maybe 50 1.8)
    Any suggestions please send them through - any and all will be taken on board!
    Cheers
    JW1970

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only safe place to photograph bears is on Grouse Mtn where they are behind a double fence with lots of barbed wire separating you from them. Other than that the bears are a wild animals that attack people for very little reason. Does not matter what film you use or what lens you have when you get mauled to death by a pissed off bear. You won't be chasing bears to photograph them they will be chasing you. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sound advice from a fellow British Columbian! While I do on occasion shoot wildlife, the shortest focal length lens I have ever used to photograph bears is my 600mm F4 ED Nikkor; most of the time, though, I resort to a 2x teleconverter for either the 400mm or the 600mm (i.e. 800mm and 1200mm). Bears - especially grizzlies - are not to be trifled with; they can out-accelerate a race horse (don't be fooled by their ungainly appearance!). If you choose to go ahead and attempt to photograph them...at least bring a cannister of bear spray and know how to use it
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is an intriguing first APUG post.

If you are actually in the forest, and come upon a bear, film choice may be a ways down your priority list.

Forests themselves are challenging photographic environments. The light is either really flat and quite dim, or the scene brightness range is extremely high.

Fast print film may be a better choice.

Of course, British Columbia offers a tremendous variety of photographic opportunities. Do you have an itinerary or destination in mind? With more detail, we may be able to give more help.

Here are a few shots from a fairly tame portion of the forest around here - a regional park in Langley, to be specific. I used an RB67 on a tripod for each of them - not the gear I would recommend for bears.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MattKing-Fungi and Fallen-Image02j-resized.jpg   MattKing-Draped-Image07e-2012-03-13-resized.jpg   MattKing-Well Dressed-Image10e-2012-03-13-resized.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good advice. Myself I have never encounter a bear in the wilderness but the advice of the 400-600mm ++ lenses might be adequate if you could run VERY fast. The wilderness photograph opportunities are quite abundant when travelling in the backcountry in B.C. but many people do not have a firm grasp on reality. My favorite lenses out in the country is a 500mm mirror with 2x or else my 400mm on a A body Canon. Probably with a fast film too. But you must use the proper film and lens so that you get a good bokeh in the frame when the bear is attacking you ;o) ...

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi,
    Provia 400 slide film is discontinued so stock up while you can if you want to use it. (For comments on the discontinuation of this film, please go to the appropriated ongoing threads, not here).

Regular colour negative film has more latitude to under- and overexposure. I like Fuji 400 NPH film, now renamed into 400H. See http://www.fujifilm.com/products/pro...specifications

When in fear of running into bears, use a Leica camera. It has a very quiet shutter and is much lighter to run with....
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm

Bears

Hi again folks.
    I should have explained in more detail re the trip: I am photographing bears with guides from a bear viewing lodge in BC, for a feature story. This is my third trip doing so - I am from Australia so, taking into account some of the things that can eat/kill us over here (great white sharks, crocs, world's ten deadliest snakes, etc.) I would under no circumstances "chase" bears, in the literal sense. So I hope that clears up any impressions of craziness on my part.
    I am guessing the meaning "chasing" got lost in translation as yes, that would definitely be the furthest thing from my mind!
    The reason for asking was I am aware of the lighting conditions I will be shooting under so was wondering if anyone had shot in similar conditions - photographing similar subjects - and which film they had used and which lenses.
    Thanks in advance for some constructive answers - and thanks for the tips re print film - much appreciated.
    Cheers
    JW

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Fuji Provia 400X for British Columbia", since the film is discontinued now I thought you were offering a trade
    Ben

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JW1970 View Post
    Hi again folks.
    I should have explained in more detail re the trip: I am photographing bears with guides from a bear viewing lodge in BC, for a feature story. This is my third trip doing so - I am from Australia so, taking into account some of the things that can eat/kill us over here (great white sharks, crocs, world's ten deadliest snakes, etc.) I would under no circumstances "chase" bears, in the literal sense. So I hope that clears up any impressions of craziness on my part.
    Cheers
    JW
    Made me think of a line on a tombstone I once saw:

"Here lies Dave,
    He chased a bear into its cave".
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin