Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,470   Online: 1052

Shooter
    35mm

Johnny Appleseed

Probably two months ago I was in my usual liquor store. I had a camera with me and the man ringing up the sale mentioned he had a Nikkormat FTn but hasn't used it in ages, preferring to use his phone. Didn't even think you could get film for it anymore. So when I left I went to the car, grabbed a roll of Tri-X, went back in and put it in his hand. I told him if he shot it I would process it, make a contact sheet and print him an 8x10 or some 5x7s, free of charge. Just so he could work that Nikon again.

Tonight I was back there (because, you know, I needed my medicine), and he told me he had the film on the dresser and was going to load it tonight because he is going to San Francisco for a week and was going to 'try and take some black and white pictures'. He was really excited about the prospect; it was great. I felt like some kind of latter-day Johnny Appleseed.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Good job. That's how you do it. Plant one seed at a time.

I'm always surprised at how many people think that you can no longer buy film. When I explain to them that not only can you get your film developed but also get it scanned to a disc they are amazed!

By getting film scanned they can put their photos on their computers and still have a physical negative as a back up. Negatives sure beat a second hard drive that still could get erased.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was very nice of you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was great! More of us should do this more often.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was really nice! It will come back around..

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Probably two months ago I was in my usual liquor store... I felt like some kind of latter-day Johnny Appleseed.
    Or perhaps more appropriately, a Johnny Applejack.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good show. Just last week I had somebody ask me in amazement, "You can still get film?" I think he still has film cameras tucked away, so I'll try and sow another seed when I see him tomorrow.

Shooter
    35mm
    My niece asked me last week if I could get film for a camera I was using, I said yes and then pointing to her iPad I said can you get batteries for that and she said no.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    s-a
    thanks for posting this

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A very kind initiative. Lucky you had some spare film with you.

Say hello to the doctor when you renew your prescription!
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin