Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,804   Online: 803

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    To be fair I probably haven't been using film cameras long enough yet to have been in enough situations to know if I would need faster shutter speeds. I could re-sell but if I was to buy a new camera I would like to keep it and continue using it after the course, as I love using film. At the moment I have found an FE at a £5 starting bid, it's been for sale for a few days already and has no bids, so with luck it will stay cheap. If it does I think I might have to buy it!

Everyone else has answered all my questions, so now it mainly comes down to price. Lastly, I had not seen Maderik's post until now, that is a very good idea and I have actually been trying to do that, I got a Pentax 50mm f/1.7 recently, and have been trying to buy 28mm and 135mm lenses which would give me a great range. I was originally trying to buy a Nikon (the K1000 was given to me) so I always preferred them, but the K1000 is still great to use. Also aren't Nikon lenses known for having much better quality? This really appeals to me. I could always get and FE with 50mm lens for general work, and get the lenses I want for the K1000 for when I need a greater range. How does that sound?
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by James-EG View Post
    To be fair I probably haven't been using film cameras long enough yet to have been in enough situations to know if I would need faster shutter speeds. I could re-sell but if I was to buy a new camera I would like to keep it and continue using it after the course, as I love using film. At the moment I have found an FE at a £5 starting bid, it's been for sale for a few days already and has no bids, so with luck it will stay cheap. If it does I think I might have to buy it!

Everyone else has answered all my questions, so now it mainly comes down to price. Lastly, I had not seen Maderik's post until now, that is a very good idea and I have actually been trying to do that, I got a Pentax 50mm f/1.7 recently, and have been trying to buy 28mm and 135mm lenses which would give me a great range. I was originally trying to buy a Nikon (the K1000 was given to me) so I always preferred them, but the K1000 is still great to use. Also aren't Nikon lenses known for having much better quality? This really appeals to me. I could always get and FE with 50mm lens for general work, and get the lenses I want for the K1000 for when I need a greater range. How does that sound?
    While many people always wanted high top shutter speed as well as high flash sync speed. I have been using film cameras more than 40 years I never wish to have shutter speed higher than 1/1000 although my first camera did have 1/2000 and I do now own camera with speed of 1/8000 but I never use such high speed. I think with digital one can have very high ISO setting then the high shutter speed is more important. For me my film speed is around 100 and 160 and I prefer to use aperture of 5.6 and smaller so high shutter speed isn't important at all for me. You do have the MX which to me just as good as the FM. I have to say that I don't care for the K1000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My photographic experience is very much like Chan Tran's. I never craved a higher top speed than 1000... and rarely use it anyway. Even when I was doing a lot more flash work I rarely craved a faster synch speed either. If it were "free" I suppose I'd take it but I never felt a need to change cameras to get that feature.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You are not likely to notice the difference between Nikon and Pentax lenses for the most common primes.

The only times I've needed a shutter speed of more than 1/1000 is either shooting really fast action or trying to shoot at wide apertures on a bright day and/or with faster film. If you have ISO 400 speed film in the camera and its a sunny day, you can only really choose 500@f/16 or 1000@f/11 (add a stop if your film has the latitude). Even 100 speed film only gets you down to f/5.6@1/1000th.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for your replies, I don't think I will need higher than 1/1000th, like you both I've never needed anything higher and rarely even use 1/1000th. Chan Tran, the problem with my MX is that it is badly damaged, it's usable, but large dents don't look good, and I'm worried about the light seals and mirror buffer (hopefully I will be able to replace them soon). But the camera also has a rather important issue where the light meter sometimes shows that the picture will be over-exposed, but when I check the same settings with my DSLR they are spot on, meaning I sometimes under expose shots, luckily however this seems to only happen with one particular lens which I am now trying to replace. Personally I love my K1000, I find it really useful and prefer it's larger size as I have big hands, but then the self timer and depth of field preview on the MX are very useful too. I suppose my K1000 also has sentimental value, it was given to me by my grandfather who really looked after it, so it's almost in perfect condition (apart from a deteriorating mirror buffer and maybe light seals)

Maderik: Thanks again for your help, if that's the case I will concentrate on getting the two new pentax lenses, however I will consider a Nikon if I find an FE, FM, or FM2n going cheap Also, since most of my course will be during the winter I don't think there will be many sunny days where I need a faster shutter speed, so that shouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks again
    Last edited by James-EG; 08-11-2013 at 04:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin