Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,391   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Advice on Nikon FE needed

I started a thread a while ago asking about what people thought of a few different cameras, I think it included Canon, Olympus and Nikon, and maybe a couple of others. Anyway I decided in the end that I would like to get the Nikon FM2n. But, now that that it's closer to the time that I start school I know that I will find it very hard to afford an FM2n with a couple of lenses, so I have been looking for an alternative. I recently found the nikon FE, it seems to be a lot cheaper than the FM2n so I would like to get an insight on how well it works and some advice from people who may have used this camera, just in case the lower price means that I lose a few features than I would have on an FM2n.

So far I know that the FE is likely to be a bit older than an FM2n, but as long as I get one in great condition that shouldn't be a problem.. right? Also is it correct that the FE has an aperture priority setting? As I would prefer a full manual camera.

Or if you know of any other models similar to the FM2n that you would recommend I would appreciate it (maybe FM2?)

Any help is much appreciated!
    James

My 500px Profile --> http://500px.com/James_EG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get the FM2n and one lens instead of two or three.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the FE has aperture-priority automation. But it can be used as a manual camera if you choose to do so since it has all of the settings you'll find on a full-manual camera. I believe the only difference will be that with a FE the shutter will require a battery in place to operate, whereas the FM-series will need the battery only to operate the meter. I use a FE and find it to be a fully satisfactory camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. With the FE you don't "lose" features... you actually gain features - the automatic mode. There are some times when that could mean the difference between getting a shot and not. The reason it could be less expensive is that many folks don't like being battery dependent (loss of battery will lead to lost shots too) and because when the electronics go the camera becomes basically a throw-away.

Shooter
    35mm
    Or look for an FM instead of an FM2? The FM is the fully manual model from the same era as the FE. Both the FE & the FM will be over 30 years old though & if it hasn't already been done will need the foam seals & the mirror bumper cushion replacing.

Going back from an FM2 to an FE or FM will lose you shutter speeds (1/4000th for the FM2 vs 1/1000th for the older ones) and the flash synch will be slower although none of them have TTL flash.

Does the course that you are doing stipulate a fully manual camera or does it allow you to have one that has automatic modes & trust you not to use them? If the latter as well then as the FE maybe look at the F301 as they go for peanuts. Nowhere near the quality or handling of an FM2 but worth considering if you are on a budget. I paid £15 for one on ebay a few years back.

If you can I would go with what Rich815 has said & go for the FM2 & fewer lenses. It really is a lovely camera to use.

If you are unsure of features on the various models you can find their instruction manuals for download here:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon.htm
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    You'll find a lot of info on this site here for the Nikon FE series: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ries/index.htm and for the Nikon FM series: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ries/index.htm
    My personal preference is for the Nikon FE.
    In the UK, prices for the Nikon FM are about the same as the FE version.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    rich815: I think that I would need some more versatility than one lens on the camera, and I'm not sure how much I would use the camera after the course as sending film off to be developed is expensive, and I often find it hard to regularly use a film camera, so would the FM2n still be worth the extra money?

BrianShaw: Thanks for your help, when you put it like that the auto feature actually sounds like something that I might want on a camera, although it is still not at all essential. Also the dependence on battery wouldn't be a problem for me, I will probably be able to carry spare batteries just in case anyway, and if I really need to I can use my Pentax K1000 or MX as backups (although the MX is so beat-up I think the light seals may be useless, I guess I'll find out when the film comes back!)

Ap507b: Am I right in thinking that both cameras are more or less identical other than the lack of the auto on the FM? Which isn't a problem. My teacher hasn't said anything about auto features being disallowed so I'm not sure, but I would probably be trusted not to use it, I much prefer using manual anyway, I never even use auto on my DSLR! The lack of 1/2000th and 1/4000th isn't a problem either, I've never wished I had higher than 1/1000th on my K1000 and MX. I would love to get an FM2n, and they went for good prices on eBay I would have one already, but they often go for up to £150, which I think is too much, especially since they normally don't come with a lens.

Once again thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated!
    James

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ignoring automatic exposure:

FM2n/FM2/FM: Metering is indicated via LEDs: + 0 -. You adjust shutter speed and/or aperture until the 0 is lit. LED's are theoretically more rugged and easier to see in dim light but sometimes harder to see in bright light.

FE/FE2: You have two needles: one is the metered speed and one is the currently selected speed. You speed and/or aperture until the needles line up. IMHO the needles of the FE series give more useful information. You only have 1 working speed if the battery is dead.

The FM/FE can be used with pre-AI lenses (flip up index tab, stop down metering), the "2" cannot. Top speed is 1/1000 and sync speed 1/125. The "2" cameras have shutter speeds up to theoretical 1/4000 although few will really reach this speed unless recently and fully CLAd. It's typically more like 1/2000th actual. Sync speed is 1/200th (the "n" may say 1/250 but again many only hit 1/200). If you expect to be shooting fast film in bright light, the FE2/FM2 give you about 1.5 stops more range.

Unless you really need the extra shutter speed range or sync speed, the differences are pretty minor. Get whichever you can afford that's in the best operating condition.

P.S. Since you say you already have an MX and a K1000, why switch to Nikon? Foam seals are easy to replace.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    You'll find a lot of info on this site here for the Nikon FE series: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ries/index.htm and for the Nikon FM series: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ries/index.htm
    My personal preference is for the Nikon FE.
    In the UK, prices for the Nikon FM are about the same as the FE version.
    Thanks for the links, I will have a read through them!
    James

Shooter
    35mm
    I have found a 1/1000th shutter speed limiting. I got up an Olympus OM2 Spot Program recently that has the same top shutter speed & with ASA 200 film I have struggled in bright light shoot to wide open & have had to sacrifice the shallow depth of field that I was after.

I imagine that you would be able to get pretty much most of what you paid for an FM2 back if you chose to sell it at the end of the course. If you are really worried about spending on the camera then look at the F301 that I suggested. There is one on ebay at the moment for £15 on buy it now. At that price it borders on a disposable camera.

Others have answered the question on the differences between the FE & FM I think. Apart from the mechanical differences with the shutter & the viewfinder display, you won't notice difference with the FE in manual than you would with the FM.

I echo what Maderik has said. If you have a K1000 already why not use the money to get some better glass & stick with it? Other than faster shutter speeds, what will an FM2 give you that it doesn't? Unless you want to switch to Nikon of course?
    David.

NAS sufferer with far too much Nikon kit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin