Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,645   Online: 981

Shooter
    Medium Format

Does the FE have a foam light Baffle?

Piggy backing on my post earlier.. Does the FE have an sort of foam light baffle when it was new. I can see that the back lid goes into a channal on the body, creating a light block. There really isn't any room to have a foam baffle. I'm very curious if there was something that is suppose to be there?

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm
    Like most of Manual Focus SLRs, yes, there is supposed to be there a foam light baffle.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My FM and FE2 bodies do. I used to have an FE and I recall that it did as well. The foam for these channels should be thin and narrow so it sets deep down in the slot - just enough for the edges of the door to press against the foam as the latch engages. I've had one of Jon Goodman's light seal kits for years and have replaced seals on at least a half-dozen cameras, and have enough material for probably a dozen more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe it might be worth my time to take it in to have it evaluated. My mother in law notice last night, how clear the picture were from our trip two weeks ago. so it's awesome little camera. Hate to say it.. but it more clearer than what my F4 did on another assignment locally.

ToddB

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    you could press a black knitting yarn into the channel. The sticky residues of the old foam will act as glue to hold the yarn in the gap.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Baffle completly gone..

Hey guys,

I took my FE to local camera repair, and the lady told me the baffle was completley gone. I left it off for replacement. I figured the camera was free, so it was worth it. Thanks for the imput.

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's sometimes a messy job, so you saved yourself some trouble. I have yet to get a light leak on something like this on the cameras I've owned, even w/ no seal left at all, so I just leave things be. I HAVE had a light leak from the door hinge area though, so that's a more critical area.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin