Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,581   Posts: 1,545,765   Online: 1063

Shooter
    Multi Format

Are Pentax K1000 and Spotmatic Components Interchangeable?

This is probably going to sound totally absurd but is it possible to either use the curtain mechanism from a Pentax K1000 to repair a Spotmatic? Either that or any other interchangeable components to convert a K1000 with no light meter and a Spotmatic with no curtain mechanism into a working Spotmatic (No I do NOT want a working K1000 out of this, I want a working Spotmatic). Any and all ideas (within reason) are welcomed...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can buy Spotmatics for parts for very little, usually £1/$1.55. The problem is the K1000 evolved and changed they were subcontracted to 3rd party manufactuers so they varied.

You'd need to download the workshop manuals for these cameras I have them somewhere.

Welcome to APUG.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    There are many differences. For example, the rubberized curtain on the K1000 is enhanced. Whether or not it has PRECISELY the same length aprons, I do not know. I think that direct interchangeability is going to be tough here. Even Spotmatics differ somewhat from different versions and dates of manufacture. The earliest had circular screw rings (under film advance lever in order to remove top) that unscrewed the opposite way from the latter versions. When a model is as successful as these two were, there are manufacturing refinements DURING the manufacturing process. I have taken apart both in order to do minor repairs like cleaning the prism area. There ARE differences, septim. - David Lyga

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Where are you located? What model Spotmatic do you have?

I have a couple Spotmatics that probably aren't worth much but might be easier to put together with yours to get a working one than the K1000. PM me if interested.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In the long run, it might simply be less expensive (and simpler) to buy a new Spotmatic. The current Spotmatic, if it has sentimental value, can then be consigned to the shelf where you can bring it down now and then as a conversation piece.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The current spotmatic is the original 1964 SP and is the camera that first started me in analog photography (first SLR)
    Last edited by septim; 08-15-2013 at 06:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    well I recommend googling Rick Olsen for his site then reading all the relevant link's.
    then buy a junk spot and replaced its shutter with home made bits
    then you can leave your friend on shelf or rebuild him or send him to a repair shop
    you may want to fix the K as well
    to many people give me Ziploc bags with camera bits inside

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin