Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,403   Online: 1022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canon F-1 Shutter Goes "ping"

I bought an early Canon F-1 camera (think it's the second version w/ the round rubber eyepiece and split prism focus screen). Other than the battery check not working it seems fine, but the shutter has an annoying "ping" to it that I don't remember having on my earlier original F1. Is this just how they are, or is mine just an odd duck? Thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As for the type of F-1 you have, what kind of battery does it take?

As for the "ping," what shutter speed(s) do you hear this sound?

Jim B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jim, I'm not even sure what battery is in it. The meter looks lively enough, but I'm shooting it w/ that R 100 f2 lens of mine and waiting on an FD 135 2.5 that will meter w/ it. It doesn't like metering w/ the R lens, but that's OK w/ me. I played w/ one of the little arms in the mirror box that apparently work with the FD and FL lenses, and the meter needle works well when I do that. But the R lens has no connection whatsoever in there, so I think it needs the FL or FD lenses to meter right. Fine w/ me, that R 100 is good enough to put up w/ hand metering the scenes. I've been shooting a tiny Nikon EM that I modified to shoot a non a.i. H 50 lens with, and compared to that the F-1 is like a medium format camera! Very big and heavy, but pleasantly so.

The ping is on all the speeds, and it comes a little after the shutter has fired. It's probably not the shutter itself, ii may be one of those little arms in the mirror box that are for aperture movements. It's not real loud like the Nikkormat EL I used to have, but it's there. I just know that it wasn't part of my old, original F-1's way of firing the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you remove the bottom cover is the ping still there? Some of the FTb, TLb's had a spring in the bottom that was annoying.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    That is usually referede to as the Cannon whine, lived with it for year4s, didn't seem to effect anything except my ears.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Time for a C.L.A., you can't expect 40 year oid cameras to work perfectly.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-16-2013 at 05:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Collector View Post
    That is usually referede to as the Cannon whine, lived with it for year4s, didn't seem to effect anything except my ears.
    The "Canon whine" only occurs in the A series of cameras and is due to a dry bearing in the mirror braking mechanism, the, F series are constructed differently and not prone to it.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-16-2013 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "R" lenses will mount on your F-1, but the aperture mechanism is different and won't couple to the camera. You'll have to use "stop down" metering if you use a "R" series lens on an F-1 (as you turn the secondary aperture ring on your "R" lens, match the needle with the index mark you see on the side of the viewfinder. Of course this assumes you're using the camera's meter).

The ping may be the lens stop-down mechanism. Try pressing in the stop-down lever and firing the shutter. If the ping goes away, or sounds different, that's the cause of the noise you hear. If you still hear the ping, one of your shutter brakes may be bad.

On the original F-1, the battery compartment is located on the bottom plate. Unscrew the slotted cover. On the F-1N, the battery compartment is located on the front of the camera.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I put film in the camera the ping got quieter. Thank for all the helpful replies. I did try grabbing all of the little arms that connect to the FD and FL lenses and firing the shutter, but the ping still pinged. It's not the end of the world, and nowhere near as annoying as Canon Squeek, so I'm happy. Next I'll investigate the spring that John mentioned and see if that's the source. For such a heavy camera it feels very well balanced. Unfortunate that there's no metering w/ the R lens, but I'm used to hand held metering. When I get my FD SC 135 2.5 lens I'll have metering. The battery turned out to be the wrong one. I ckd the voltage and it's 1.5V, not 1.35V, so a trip to the store for some hearing aid batteries is in order. Think I'll buy one of those cheap Chinese glassless adapters and shoot my Nikon non a.i. H 50 lens on it. The Canon FD 50 glass is very good, but that old Nikon lens is really sharp, and has beautiful bokeh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The "Canon whine" only occurs in the A series of cameras and is due to a dry bearing in the mirror braking mechanism, the, F series are constructed differently and not prone to it.
    Didn't know that, but then I'm kinda a Nikon guy except for a FTb QL back in the early 70's,,awsome camera wish I'd ket it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin