Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,967   Online: 860

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F90x - a fantastic workhorse

I have recently brought my F90x back into the action and I have to say that is has served me rather well and continues to do so. I rely on it heavily for any AF work.
    While the shutter/motorwind and rewind are a bit loud, the rest of the camera is practically tough to fault.

It's really interesting to see them being sold for a song and a dance.

Just thought I'd share as I think I will be keeping this Nikon in my "arsenal" for a while

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yup, it's interesting to see these sold for so little, when a 'full frame' DSLR still costs so much. But companies have always found it easy to convince people of what represents 'value' and what does not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a used N90s in 2004. It was a good all around camera, even though it was a bit large and heavy. Sold it in 2007 when I dumped all my film gear. When I came back to film about 2 years ago, I kinda missed that body.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree, it set a cracking pace for Nikon. It received critical reviews for its capability when it came out.

For a long time in the 1990s the F90X was the camera for the task for rock climbers in Australia. Any number of well-known, widely published names here used an F90X with a 24 or 35mm lens swinging from a carabiner on their chalk bag. Glenn Tempest is one long-established climber/publisher who took an F90X all over the world on his travels, running Velvia 50 before the whole spectrum of publishing and photography went digital. No idea what they use now (all digital, for certain) but there's a good chance they'd be the top-notch Nikons and Canons, not necessarily light weight. I don't follow them or the activity at all now, nowhere near as much as I did when I had an interest in rock-climbing and cycling/travel around that same time. But I've witnessed a few F90X bodies take hard knocks, drops and crashes (and broken lenses) and still get going with a quick change of lens!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    35mm
    And the back has metal catches, not [lastic like the F100.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a N90x about 6 years ago. It definitely is a work horse. Granted a little heavy but I like it that way. I have numerous lens and the entire system if flawless. As a matter of fact my wife and I just minutes ago climbed off the Harley after what we call "drive by photos". We were out photographing historic buildings of our area.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The N90S was my 2nd favorite AF camera, only liked my F4s more. About 2 years ago decided to concentrate on manual cameras only, sold all my AF Nikon gear. Must confess I sometimes wonder what the hell I was thinking

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just purchased 2 of them without lens. I don't have any auto-focus lens other than one for a digital, which I don't think will work. Doesn't really matter, I like manual lens better and have plenty to pick from. Have not had time to use them yet, they are interesting.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    How much larger is one of these than, say, a Nikon F3? My F100 doesn't fit in my tamrac holster case

Shooter
    Multi Format
    40%?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin