Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,188   Online: 912

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How good is the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AIS lens?

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It's a very good lens, but I didn't find it enough better than the 35/2 Nikkor-O to make it worth spending the extra cash and toting the extra weight. The one I used was an early one like Clayne's, the later MC versions (marked "Nikkor N-C" and later) are better flare-wise.
    The N and NC versions are both multicoated. The C, atleast for this lens, is purely marketing. It's deadly obvious by just looking at the deep magenta reflection thrown off the N version that its the same multicoating as the NC and probably just about the same as the AIS.

I don't know what you guys are talking about weight wise. The lens isn't significantly heavier than any other AIS lens, although it is of course heavier on the scale. We're talking probably 200g heavier here which is nothing compared to the size/weight of various autofocus lenses people are using these days.

This lens also does not have uncontrollable flare and ghosting. It's a multicoated lens just like any other modern lens design, relatively unchanged throughout the years (aside from the switch away from thorium elements), and isn't particularly known for being a problem child lens. It's only real issue is barrel distortion.
    Last edited by clayne; 08-21-2013 at 02:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sure buddy; checks in the mail. Sounds to me like you're just continuing the internet tradition of repeating 'truths'. Until you can show us all what "uncontrollable flare and ghosting" and this "over-exosed/ over ratio background would reduce contrast of what was exposed correctly" from your copy (which you don't say Again which version yes it matters) then it I refer to my original post: you need a good cleaning.
    In fact, I'll be shooting today with this lens in the bright hot Hawaiian sunshine and I'll post some examples on my blog. I'll keep you posted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I loved it at F2 on down but I had a hard time with it at 1.4 either due to focus or it being somewhat soft or both. I now have the 35mm 1.4G and that lens flat out blows it away, it's on par with my former 35mm 1.4 love, the Leica 35mm 1.4 Aspheric. Too bad the G version is such a big lens, I feel like I could fit the AIS version inside it...

In my experience, I buy 1.4 lenses to shoot them at 1.4 and I could rarely do that with any degree of satisfaction with the 35mm 1.4 AIS. I even find it easier to hit focus manually with the G than the AIS, it's that sharp wide open.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 08-21-2013 at 03:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    The N and NC versions are both multicoated. The C, atleast for this lens, is purely marketing. It's deadly obvious by just looking at the deep magenta reflection thrown off the N version that its the same multicoating as the NC and probably just about the same as the AIS.

I don't know what you guys are talking about weight wise. The lens isn't significantly heavier than any other AIS lens, although it is of course heavier on the scale. We're talking probably 200g heavier here which is nothing compared to the size/weight of various autofocus lenses people are using these days.

This lens also does not have uncontrollable flare and ghosting. It's a multicoated lens just like any other modern lens design, relatively unchanged throughout the years (aside from the switch away from thorium elements), and isn't particularly known for being a problem child lens. It's only real issue is barrel distortion.
    I didn't know that.

As I said, the dealbreaker for me was weight and cost. One of the reasons I stick to the smaller slower lenses is to be able to carry what I want, sometimes space is as important as weight. If it's 200g heavier and significantly bulkier, that's another lens I won't be carrying. As for the autofocus zoom thingies people tote around, I wouldn't waste my time and effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This from my AIS version a couple of minutes ago. Note: these were shot on a D7000, I would have shot on a full-frame but don't have one and don't have time to soup a roll and scan before uploading right now. Beat me up if you want.

Lens flare (first three sun in frame, next two, sun out of frame)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	73258 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	73260 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-3.jpg 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	73261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	73263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	495.6 KB 
ID:	73266
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Barrel distortion
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3514test-7.jpg   3514test-6.jpg  
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry... I just used one day in and out it was an AIS (thousands of exposures) , and yes strong backlighting situation and such lent to more washed-out details than say a 55mm micro AIS or 105 1.8 AIS could handle. It wasn't terrible, but negatives made in those situations with the 35mm f1.4 AIS had me reaching for the #4 VC filter while similar images on same roll shot with other lenses had me going back to the VC #2. I was just giving you my experience with it for a decade. I do not currently own one. I find the short zooms from Nikon to be pretty darn good.

I wouldn't call the ghosting "uncontrollable" it's just more prone to it while wide open... as are many of these "fast" lenses.

BTW I used it with a metal "F" hood from the 1960's no filter, but I think a 58mm or 62mm cap fit the hood. I'd buy it again if I had the need for it. Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyMark View Post
    This from my AIS version a couple of minutes ago. Note: these were shot on a D7000, I would have shot on a full-frame but don't have one and don't have time to soup a roll and scan before uploading right now. Beat me up if you want.

Lens flare (first three sun in frame, next two, sun out of frame)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	73258 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-2.jpg 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	73260 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-3.jpg 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	73261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-4.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	73263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3514test-5.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	495.6 KB 
ID:	73266
    These photos (#3 and #4... where contrast is reduced (or black values "come up"_) articulate very much what I was trying to say from first hand use of this lens for a decade.

Just trying to help... not perpetuate any particular rumor. Cheers.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 08-21-2013 at 04:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In spite of the defects shown in my photos, this lens remains my favorite. I seldom shoot something as backlit as the first 5, and I can live with the barrel distortion because this lens allows me to in one quarter the amount of light that I can with my zoom. I suspect that my pragmatism will allow me to cope with the disappointments in my life better than my idealism.

YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow....great discussion. Anyone compare this lens to the Zeiss 35mm f/2? I'm tossing around the idea of getting one or the other of these lenses.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin