Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,030   Online: 901

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How good is the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 AIS lens?

Any fans of this lens? How well does it perform? Excellent or merely good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Excellent. My normal Nikon lens. If I take only one with me, this is it. This will be the last piece of glass that I let go of.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you look at MTF and lens reviews it is not that good but it is a very good lens to use and I will not let mine go. If you are thinking about getting one then do it and you won't be disappointed.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Absolutely awesome.

It has it's flaws (barrel distortion) but it's charm well outweighs that. I have one pretty much welded to my F, albeit its the original Nikkor-N Auto 9-bladed version (which is about 40 years old now). Various shots on my Flickr stream with it.

Antha by kediwah, Neopan 1600, XTOL 1+1
    Last edited by clayne; 08-21-2013 at 01:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    it's very good, better than many, though on my shortlist of 5 standard walkaround lenses--in order of preference, 28/2, 50/1.2, 35/2-O.C, 50/1.8 longnose, 35/1.4--it has to be no. 5 due to totally uncontrollable flare and ghosting; truly great as a "special effects" lens for artsy environmental portraits for this reason

Shooter
    35mm RF
    " uncontrollable flare and ghosting"
    Sounds like it needs a good cleaning, and/or use of a hood. All my versions do not have uncontrollable flare and ghosting; some yes but quite controllable.
    In all seriousness, a truly great Nikkor. I've extensively used all versions and can assure you, if you can get the N or N.C version get it. It can yellow from the radioactive decay but that can either be overlooked or bleached out. My without a doubt irreplaceable lens. The Ais version has a slightly different optical formula, no radioactive elements so it doesn't yellow but the images look thinner and harder, (maybe a bit more flarey and ghosty too?) in comparison to the N and N.C (and early K versions if you want to be precise) where it seems the image is fuller and more gentle with sharpness. Subtle differences but it's there.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, first thing I did with my N was to put it rear-element facing against a black light for about 1-2 weeks. Greatly diminished the ionization to a light tea color, whereas before it was a bit 'bronze'. I prefer the older all metal lenses in general. Never had any significant issues with flare or ghosting with this lens, ever.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    Sounds like it needs a good cleaning...
    no

Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    ...and/or use of a hood.
    on it; no change with the sun in frame

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Can you direct me to an image you've shot with the flare? Also which version? Ais or the N. Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    I have said this before and I will say it again: The 35/1.4 Nikkor is the best lens ever made in the history of universe, and then some. The fact that people live in different universes affects this statement somewhat, but hey, their universes suck.

In all seriousness, people either love it or hate it so you have to test it for yourself. It's not for everyone, that is for sure.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin