Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,795   Online: 951

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    Exactly.

I also have tried to focus without looking into the viewfinder but looking at the distance of the subject. And it is easier with wide angle lenses. But I will only know if it works ok after finish the film roll.
    If you don't want to wear your glasses, get (as others have said) a corrective lens for the viewfinder eyepiece. You cannot focus the camera if you cannot clearly see the focussing screen!.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do your cameras permit the use of a diopter lens on the eyepiece? Sort of like putting the eyeglasses on the camera rather than on your head.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Do your cameras permit the use of a diopter lens on the eyepiece? Sort of like putting the eyeglasses on the camera rather than on your head.
    The Nikon F, F2, and F3 all take the same eyepiece correctors IIRC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    Exactly.

I also have tried to focus without looking into the viewfinder but looking at the distance of the subject. And it is easier with wide angle lenses. But I will only know if it works ok after finish the film roll.
    This is elementary and only works well with lenses stopped to 5.6 or smaller and wide 35mm lenses. No way you will get much by this estimation method and 70mm or longer lenses. It's kinda silly with an SLR, unless you are setting the hyperfolcal distance for quick photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With street photography, I don't bother with focussing. I guess the rough distance I will be shooting at, set the lens to that and use f8 or smaller to give me a good depth of field.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Peltigera View Post
    With street photography, I don't bother with focussing. I guess the rough distance I will be shooting at, set the lens to that and use f8 or smaller to give me a good depth of field.
    This works, give it a try. The DOF scales on the Nikkor lenses are pretty accurate. F/8 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is why I am doing it with 35mm and street shots. The faster you get ready the better. Sometimes I see something and I pick my camera and just before or after I shoot I realise I forgot the put my glasses on. Even worst when I forget my glasses at home. But even with glasses, you you know when you are trying to focus on something moving towards you. The faster it moves the less precise or sure you are about the focus. But when you look ate the space without look through the viewfinder and see where the moving object is going to be and you want to shoot, you just see the distance and use it as reference. Much faster than trying to focus the area before the moving object rich there and your have to shot to get what you want.
    With wide lenses even easier to get it near spot on and everything in frame without looking into de camera. But I still have to wait to see the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience with trying to focus using the microprism/split prism on my Canon F-1 without my glasses on is: I can't. Maybe with the split prism, if I have a very contrasty vertical line to work with, but I can't even *see* the "out of focus" effect on the microprism part with my eye unaided, and determining peak focus on the ground glass is pretty much impossible.

On the other hand, I do trust the focusing when I have my glasses on. If I miss focus it's usually because I was rushing it too much. For landscape type subjects I'll often just use hyperfocal distance for the next larger f/stop to the one I'm set at. I've tried zone focusing but have only had some success at very small apertures.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could test the focusing on your F3HP by focusing it as you normally would on a target and then use a viewfinder magnifier to see if you managed to achieve critical focus.

Of course the only Nikon viewfinder magnifier I know for the F3 is the DG2 and it only fits the DE-2 viewfinder and not the high point DE-3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my glasses and have no problems, but if the O.P. dislikes using his glasses he could get contact lenses, because there are some eyesight defects screw in camera eyesight correction lenses won't correct, like astigmatism in my case.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-22-2013 at 08:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin