Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,169   Online: 788

Shooter
    35mm

What's your favorite sunrise/sunset lens?

Hi All,
    I'm curious, what's your favorite lens to shoot sunrise/sunset? I like sunrise shot that includes sun peeking with rays and resemble starlight filter. The kind that narrows before they disappear.
    Many years ago I used Nikkor 35mm and cheap 35-70mm. I don't exactly remember which one produced the nicest sunrise/sunset but there were some nice pictures. Then I used a 70-210mm and got bad results, I think it had internal flare which created the second sun on the negative. When I moved to digital I tried nikkor DX 17-55mm but don't like the sun rays. It widens before they disappear. I call it Japanese Sunrise type
    Now I use 55mm on Pentax 67ii, the result is quite good but I wonder if there are better lenses in 35mm format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 45mm f4 on Pentax 67, or 17-40 on 35mm (17mm with very strong lead-in foreground anchor).
    I don't actually shoot sunrise or sunsets (stopped that years ago), but the foreglow and afterglow of the event, that is to say, the camera has its back to the Sun.
    The super-wide angles (17mm and lower) are good if have a sweeping, detail-rich landscape, quite aside from the Sun e.g. a beach with striking rock formations, backlit clouds on the horizon and the Sun placed somewhere in balance. But in 35mm, the wider you go, the further and further scenic content is pushed back. Probably better to stick with medium format and fit the scene to that frame. Personal choice.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my Canon 24 2.8 FD and a 50mm on my RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I use my Canon 24 2.8 FD and a 50mm on my RB67.

Jeff
    I too like the FD 24/2.8 along with the Nikkor 35/2.8.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin