Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,464   Online: 914

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Nicole,

I traded in my Nikon F5 (which was way too big for me) for a F6, and I love it. It fits very well in my (female) hands. Excellent build quality and super fast AF if you need AF.

Good luck choosing.
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, I think I have a problem. I will, again (3rd time) recommend the Minolta Dynax 7. No, I'm not on comission from Minolta. As I've said in other threads, it is a brilliant camera, with a great quality/cost ratio, loaded with features that you can simply turn off if wished, great, bright viewfinder, very ergonomical. I own the camera for a short time, but I'm really pleased with it. It is suposed to have the fastest AF in the world. I can´t say that, because I have a slow Sigma lens, and to me it seems a bit slower then my old Pentax MZ-50. The downsides are: there is the rumour that Minolta is discontinuing it, because of their new DSLR; there are known compatibilty issues with third-party lenses, especially Sigma; and it is a bit noisy. But it can do 1/8000th of a second, so, we must expect some noise from the mirror. Just my two cents.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Nikon F80 (N80) is my advice with a Nikon. I believe it to be smaller. I think Tony (TPPhotog) has one. Ask him for more details.
    I have one as well. I had it for a little over 4 years, traveled all over the world with it (including Australia), and has been a good camera. I really love the built in ground glass etching that you can turn on or off at will. The camera is small, although I added the optional battery pack so I could use it. I am probably going to buy another one when this one finally goes - it is still going even after I got it soaked in the surf a few weeks ago.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nikon F80 for autofocus & FM3 for manual focus if you want to keep your current lens set. Canon tends to be more cutting edge for lens technology & pricing tends to be less than Nikon but their bodies tend to be rather large in comparison. Except for the "consumer" entry level cameras.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    I love the size and age of the Pentax Spotmatic.
    Nicole,

I just finished responding to your MF query ...

I, too love Spotmatics; one was my first "pro" level camera from about 1970. I now have three, although I use my Minolta manual focus and really don't use the Pentaxs too much.

I do, however, recommend them in this context. Takumar lens are not only widely available, but cheap!

The hard part will be finding one that has a working meter, and then when you do, there are no batteries (this may be the biggest reason mine have fallen in favor of my Minoltas). There are battery substitutes, however, so this issue is not absolute.

And, of course, if you can do without a meter, then there is no problem.

Cheers,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Contax Aria when I shoot 35mm SLR and love it. It is small, quiet, has spot metering, manual focus, oh yeh and great lenses
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Nicole,

The hard part will be finding one that has a working meter, and then when you do, there are no batteries (this may be the biggest reason mine have fallen in favor of my Minoltas). There are battery substitutes, however, so this issue is not absolute.

Batteries really aren't an issue. Any silver oxide battery small enough will work. Just need a rubber ring around the battery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like older Nikons and newer Canons but my favorite 35mm cameras are the Leica rangefinders. If you have several Nikon lenses, stick with Nikons. If you don't want to stick with Nikon, Canon wunderplastik is good stuff and a great alternative. Leicas are different--basic, small, quiet, quirky, expensive--but really nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    I like older Nikons and newer Canons but my favorite 35mm cameras are the Leica rangefinders. If you have several Nikon lenses, stick with Nikons. If you don't want to stick with Nikon, Canon wunderplastik is good stuff and a great alternative. Leicas are different--basic, small, quiet, quirky, expensive--but really nice.
    I'll second that. If Leica is within the budget, and you think a rangefinder could work for your type of work - you would not be dissappointed. An m7 would just knock socks off .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give me a motorized F3 or any FM series camera with a motor and I'm a happy kinda guy...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin